Innovative Marine Aquariums

Does this Ricordea look alright?

fishkeepersaltnfresh

mitten_reef

Yup looks shrinking to me. more light. Make sure you have some nutrients (N&P) in the water. 
has it gotten stung by another coral?  That’s the only other reason why it’s shrivel

up or lose bubbles 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh

I moved it under a rock to low lighting thinking that my new lights are making it shrink. Should I be moving it to more light?

mitten_reef
15 minutes ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

I moved it under a rock to low lighting thinking that my new lights are making it shrink. Should I be moving it to more light?

mine are always out in the open, no shading...and I grow mostly acros in the tank, so yeah plenty of light. 

not all types of mushrooms can be treated the same...have to keep that in mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ricordea Florida mostly live in shallow to very shallow water on the inner side of reefs and in pools, so too much light isn't really much of a concern with them in our tanks. Definitely agree with mitten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
4 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Ok. It was in open so far. So not sure....

Just popped over to your tank thread. It looks like nothing has grown in much, if any so far.  So it’s either lighting or nutrient issue, especially for softies.  Have all the  params been pretty good, and I’m talking cal & alk?  

haven’t taken good photos of mine in a while. But here are some from last wk or so. CF931CAF-E027-45AD-8C7B-099DE8D6BDE3.thumb.jpeg.26056f1a933db806f2cea60d193893a3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

i have two ricordea. i had the blue and orange one in a partially shaded area, moved the orange into an area with more light, and the blue did much better. so i moved the orange back. at this point (it's been about 4 months) the blue has moved aside (more toward the shade) to reveal a baby, much smaller, paler in color. i was hoping they'd start splitting sooner than this. 

• Thanks 1
mitten_reef
7 hours ago, rough eye said:

i have two ricordea. i had the blue and orange one in a partially shaded area, moved the orange into an area with more light, and the blue did much better. so i moved the orange back. at this point (it's been about 4 months) the blue has moved aside (more toward the shade) to reveal a baby, much smaller, paler in color. i was hoping they'd start splitting sooner than this. 

Can you please clarify whether you have a ricordea florida or ricordea Yuma?  The fact that you mentioned it walked off and dropped a baby sounded like that is a yuma species. No florida I owned ever “walked”, they grew and split in-place. 

while I’d say I have good success rate with r.florida. I’m terrible with r.yuma, and your observation on lighting might reinforce that as well. 

also as noted above, not mushrooms are the same. So both of these ricordea won’t multiply as fast the other mushrooms in the hobby. 

6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Can you please clarify whether you have a ricordea florida or ricordea Yuma?  The fact that you mentioned it walked off and dropped a baby sounded like that is a yuma species. No florida I owned ever “walked”, they grew and split in-place. 

while I’d say I have good success rate with r.florida. I’m terrible with r.yuma, and your observation on lighting might reinforce that as well. 

also as noted above, not mushrooms are the same. So both of these ricordea won’t multiply as fast the other mushrooms in the hobby. 

as far as i know they're both r. florida. it didn't walk far, just moved aside on the plug it's been on. 

• Like 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh
19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Just popped over to your tank thread. It looks like nothing has grown in much, if any so far.  So it’s either lighting or nutrient issue, especially for softies.  Have all the  params been pretty good, and I’m talking cal & alk?  

haven’t taken good photos of mine in a while. But here are some from last wk or so. CF931CAF-E027-45AD-8C7B-099DE8D6BDE3.thumb.jpeg.26056f1a933db806f2cea60d193893a3.jpeg

The ones doing good in my tank are Zoas, Superman Mushroom (lots of them), Candy cane coral, Acan E, War coral & Duncan. The ones I am having issue with are the Ricordea F, Blasto & Hammer. All these started like a month or 2 ago once I upgraded my light from stock Black bar light to 2 Nicrew LEDs. 

I did have issue with GHA & Dinos. I started manually removing them, introduced an urchin and also added UV lights.

fishkeepersaltnfresh

Today, while i was feeding the corals, the bigger Ricordea stood up and seemed like it might walk away. But then settled back in. It is still under the ledge.

20210729_125634.jpg

fishkeepersaltnfresh

It seems like the light is definitely playing a part here. Both the pictures below are taken together. I had moved the Ricordea under the ledge 2 days back. The picture marked 'Shade' is when I moved it out from under the rock into light this morning. the second picture labelled 'Lt' is after 2 hours under the light. The smaller one looks worse under the light. Agree?. The Nicrew lights has 5 settings for 'Blue' & 5 seetings for 'Whites'. I have set the dial to '3' for Blue' and to '2' for whites.

Screenshot_20210730-110942_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210730-115945_Gallery.jpg

mitten_reef

the bubbles look more happy and expanded in LT to me.  the small one may "appear worse" because the whole mushroom is more expanded, so you see the bubble-less patch more clearly.  regardless, the 2 hour difference may not mean much, if any, related to the appearance.  corals expand and contract throughout the light cycle.  So the morning shade shot could have just been a sleepy shroom.   

in the previous post, under the ledge, the big shroom is stretching up off the rock - telltale sign of seeking for more light in shroom and zoas. 

I'm not telling they like light just because I say so....feel free to browse the last handful of pages on my journal.  I counted many pics with rics either featured or in the FTS on pages 92-95 alone, and probably more further back.  they're one of my favorite things to photograph in the tank.  wish you the best on yours, they're addictive.

• Like 3