Top Shelf Aquatics

can bio blocks replace rocks?

rojees

As per the subject above, does it work? whether its MarinePure or any other brand or a combination.

Just basically can it replace rock? Of course rock is advantageous in the long run - I get all that but if just bio blocks (and other bio media), does it work the same?

Bacteria don't care. They grow on any surface, but prefer locations where there is high water flow for O2. They also prefer darker areas, but if there's ammonia or nitrite they will colonize.

This is an inherent problem that cannisters or bio balls create. Bacteria will migrate to filters because of the dense water flow and gas exchange created in filters. This gives them their rep as nitrate factories.

If you've been to a pet store you've probably seen the bare glass tanks full of feeder fish. Bacteria have colonized the sides of the glass, although this is not their ideal host area. 

BRS did a test on bio blocks and found they provided no benefit for nitrate reduction. 

thanks for the reply.

The reason I ask this is because I dont want to use rock, its a fish only tank (prob just 2 clownfish). Doing the cycling now, and alot of people have said use rock, rock, rock, but surely there must be other alternatives to rock? I have no idea how the bio blocks work, as in how effective they are, for both cycling and long term

Reef rock, live rock etc is just chunks of solidified calcium carbonate. Nothing special about it other than it being porous. Live rock is another issue because its biology is beneficial.

I prefer to use Lava Rock if I can't get live rock. Cheap, porous, and can be found at any home improvement store 

M. Tournesol
2 hours ago, rojees said:

The reason I ask this is because I dont want to use rock, its a fish only tank (prob just 2 clownfish). 

Will the tank be empty and bare bottom ?

FOWLR usually have rocks or dead corals skeleton and possibly sand. 

Update:

So I went out to get some real reef rock! Enough of this half guessing.

LFS said just rinse it off and dump into the tank is okay.

It was dry and in a container. 
How do I “treat” it? Rinse? Soak in rodi saltwater?

bleach? For how long ?

thanks guys 

1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

No need to "treat". Juste put them in the tank. it's humain made rocks with no pest. 

Love it, thanks so much for your help!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, rojees said:

thanks for the reply.

The reason I ask this is because I dont want to use rock, its a fish only tank (prob just 2 clownfish). Doing the cycling now, and alot of people have said use rock, rock, rock, but surely there must be other alternatives to rock? I have no idea how the bio blocks work, as in how effective they are, for both cycling and long term

Most marine fish live near coral reefs.  Rocks give fish a natural environment for territorial reasons, behavioral norms, stress relief along with the biological filtration.

I couldn't imagine not having any kindof rockwork in a saltwater aquarium.  Even if you put a dead white marco rock for a fish only system, it will become live overtime with bacteria. 

It just won't have the same bio-diversity of a reef live rock with strong light overhead.

• Like 2
M. Tournesol
6 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Not least, it would look odd having bioblocks In a DT in place of live rock?  

The author of the post just did buy "real reef rock" man-made rock. (See photos above)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, blasterman said:

Reef rock, live rock etc is just chunks of solidified calcium carbonate. Nothing special about it other than it being porous. Live rock is another issue because its biology is beneficial.

Real Reef rock = what I call Painted Live Rock is man made & cultured.  It has beneficial bacteria on it.  My LFS had it in tank with Live Rock, light and powerhead My only gripe with it is that it chips easily during transport so you have to be gentle with the stuff.  

It helped me cycle my tank pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

Real Reef rock = what I call Painted Live Rock is man made & cultured.  It has beneficial bacteria on it.  My LFS had it in tank with Live Rock, light and powerhead My only gripe with it is that it chips easily during transport so you have to be gentle with the stuff.  

It helped me cycle my tank pretty quickly.

Live rock is live rock on my book. If it comes from an established tank and it will hurt your foot if you drop it i qualify it as a rock. 🙂 Man-made or otherwise. 

Just to reiterate, there's nothing special about old fashioned calcium carbonate based LR. It just needs to be somewhat porous and come from a tank with a bio load and its all good for bacteria. One thing you need to watch out for is LFS stores often keep it in bulk tanks with no biology in it. Bacteria need food.

• Haha 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
  1. If you got the rock from a dry box, that rock is sterile of marine bacteria.  If the LFS had it in water for months running it through a filter system, it should be colonized with marine bacteria and be more readily cured to get to number 2.
  2. Purchase any bacteria in the bottle, TurboFriz 900 or any other that the LFS recommends.  (Follow simple instructions if the rock was dry from box)
  3. Wait a couple days and go back to LFS to have him check you for water parameters.
  4. Wait for clearance from him before you take off the runway and take your crew to 35,0000 feet.  (Just a little humor)
  • Like 1