ReefCleaners.org

Tank stock

mpugh

Hey guys, 

I can finally put fish back into my tank in the weekend and was looking for some ideas on stock list. I currently have 1 clown who is in quarantine and will have to remain there for the near future as he has been treated for brook and now possibly has ich (seen some white spots on him), he has been in QT for 6 weeks. 
So he is obviously fish 1, I was also looking at possibly 5 chromis, 1 lawnmower blenny and 1 mandarin (to be added nearer Christmas time), I won’t be getting all these fish at once, they will be spread out over the next 1-2 months. I have the usual CUC like hermits, snails and an urchin and I also have some corals. 
is there any other fish I could get or am I at my limit?  

I have 40 gallon (UK) display with a 10 gallon sump. 

thanks

11 minutes ago, mpugh said:

I was also looking at possibly 5 chromis

They will likely, eventually, harass each other to death, likely leaving just one.

12 minutes ago, mpugh said:

1 mandarin (to be added nearer Christmas time)

Even Mandarins which eat frozen food still likely need a supply of pods to keep them healthy.  This involves culturing pods for them, or at least keeping an attached pod refugium.  Buying pods isn't as practical.

But the lawnmower blenny should be fine. :smilie:

I'd probably get a mate for your clownfish, maybe one chromis, the blenny that you want, and a basslet.

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Even Mandarins which eat frozen food still likely need a supply of pods to keep them healthy.  This involves culturing pods for them, or at least keeping an attached pod refugium.  Buying pods isn't as practical.

That’s why I’m going to wait until around Christmas time, as I buy pods from my legs when I go there and I will look into culturing my own, so it gives me time to build up a good stock. 

7 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd probably get a mate for your clownfish

Should I wait until my other clown can go back in my tank before getting a mate?

3 minutes ago, mpugh said:

Should I wait until my other clown can go back in my tank before getting a mate?

I would.  For a mate, you should buy a significantly smaller juvenile of the same species.  Then introduce them to the tank at the same time.  The should pair up almost immediately.

• Like 1