Pod Your Reef

New leopard wrasse. Need to get it to eat.

Gavind3

Hi everyone, I went to my local fish store yesterday. I went in looking for a new fish and got a wrasse. I found a certain species that looked cool. There was 4 in the tank and the other 3 were on the sand bed.  He was swimming around. I asked to feed the tank live brine and he ate so I asked for him. I was told it was a dusky wrasse. I went home and posted it on a forum and found it was a black leopard. I did research and apparently they are hard to keep. I have gotten other fish on frozen like a past copperband. This tank is 3 1/2 years old. It’s a 42 gallon reef. Yesterday I put him into the tank he actually stayed out instead of instantly burying itself like my past yellow corris wrasse. He stayed up for an hour after the lights turned off. This morning he wasn’t out but I went to the gym and came back and he was out to my surprise. Today I feed frozen mysis and brine mixed with api general cure and focus. Everyone ate but the new black leopard wrasse. He ate a couple pieces but spit them out. I see him hunting for pods. What should I feed him? 

3C57AC87-CEF3-4102-ADA2-E00FF85090F5.jpeg

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Beautiful fish.  Good luck with feeding it.  If you can get live blackworm or live brine, you can slowly mix it with frozen till it starts eating frozen

Sounds good. Should I try adding garlic to it as well? 

33 minutes ago, Gavind3 said:

Sounds good. Should I try adding garlic to it as well? 

You can try but I never have luck with garlic.  Also it's normal for new fish to not eat for a few days.  Give it time

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

That's a beautiful black leopard. 😊

It will take a while to eat. My leopard actually took a full month before he began accepting prepared food, including pellets. Otherwise he was mostly eating pods. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

That's a beautiful black leopard. 😊

It will take a while to eat. My leopard actually took a full month before he began accepting prepared food, including pellets. Otherwise he was mostly eating pods. 

Thank you. Do you think that my tank my size has enough pods to support him until he starts to eat the prepared foods. Also he only came out of the sand yesterday for about 4 hours.