inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish behaviour

Jakeclowns

So I have recently started a new tank 35 gallon, once the tank had fully cycled I added 2 small clowns one common and one black, both the same size, they were kept in different tanks at LFS, been a few days now and my orange clown is always swimming away from my black clown, and my black clown is chasing and nipping at my orange clown, is this okay behaviour or is this something to be alarmed about, I’ve looked into it and have been told it’s just then pairing but there is no fighting back from the orange clown? Any help appreciated 

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com

Sorry for the late response.  There shouldn't be any damage (torn fins or such).  There shouldn't be any real "fighting" either.  There might be a play for who is dominant.  If the submissive one doesn't display this by shaking in front of the more aggressive fish, then things could escalate.

The color of the clownfish isn't typically a problem.  The size usually is.  When pairing clownfish, you should pick a significantly smaller juvenile of the same species for the existing clownfish.  This will help ensure that one is dominant and the other is submissive (and the least chance of excess aggression).  The dominant fish will still show its dominance; however, she will not hurt its mate.

If you see continued aggression, try to take one back in exchange for a significantly smaller juvenile.