Cultivated Reef

My pitho crab

Obami

Not so much info about pitho on internet. Thought I should post a pic for those who are interested.

Attached is a female I got from John. 

She stays put most of the time, but is not afraid of anyone. She seems understand the concept of "feeding" pretty well, and took no training to accept food from my hand.

IMG_20210713_153821792_MP.jpg

• Like 4

Neat little critter. Please update on how and what she does, and particularly how she interacts with other things in the tank. Crabs tend to be opportunists. 

• 2 weeks later...

She seems to know that she is the giant of my nano, and her feeding strategy is to sit on top of the food, and then slowly use her claws to deliver to her mouth. I haven't caught her bullies others, but she did trim my macro after light out.

1627401327986.GIF

• Like 1
On 7/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, Obami said:

She seems to know that she is the giant of my nano, and her feeding strategy is to sit on top of the food, and then slowly use her claws to deliver to her mouth. I haven't caught her bullies others, but she did trim my macro after light out.

1627401327986.GIF

What kind of macro did she munch on? Emeralds are said to be hit or miss in planted tanks, guess these big ol' buggers might be the same.

On 7/29/2021 at 3:45 PM, A.m.P said:

What kind of macro did she munch on? Emeralds are said to be hit or miss in planted tanks, guess these big ol' buggers might be the same.

Gracilaria

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If they reliably eat bristleworms, that might pump up the demand for them. Lots of people don't like bristleworms at all, even though they're helpful. 

On 8/15/2021 at 1:16 PM, Tired said:

If they reliably eat bristleworms, that might pump up the demand for them. Lots of people don't like bristleworms at all, even though they're helpful. 

Worms are too fast for her. This one was just unlucky, but still half of the worm got away.

I recently got 2 of them from reef cleaners. Neat little guys!  Both of mine have much less beefy front claws - I'm wondering if that's sexual dimorphism.   Mine both have patches of algae growing on the same piece of carapace as yours does though lol. 

So far they are model inhabitants, and starting to slowly chip away at all my bubble algae.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:27 PM, sublunary said:

I recently got 2 of them from reef cleaners. Neat little guys!  Both of mine have much less beefy front claws - I'm wondering if that's sexual dimorphism.   Mine both have patches of algae growing on the same piece of carapace as yours does though lol. 

So far they are model inhabitants, and starting to slowly chip away at all my bubble algae.

Females have big claws; males don't.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Randall S Simpson

If you are having green bubble algae problems the green emerald crabs usually just eat it first.  The few problems areas I had I just moved the crab and placed him/here on the algae, they just started eating like nothing had happened.  Then they started eating "good" stuff and had to move tanks.  If you can get the mini decorator crabs they are neat.  Pithos just seems like a generic holder name until they get them labeled all.  Love all the crabs anyway 🙂.