inTank Media Baskets

Montipora Digitata

Bocephous

I have a purple montipora digitata. When I got it it was a very light pink. I've had it about a month now. It's now a brownish/purple. Seems to be doing ok. I was wondering if anyone could describe or post a good pic of how big the little polyp thingies open on it. I'm not sure mine is opening fully. If this is so I might have to accelerate my MH plans. It's currently under 2x36w in my 10g, one 10k/03 bulb and one 03 bulb.

good pic

they are not "long haired" and don't really look too bushy. you can just see polyps everywhere like the pic shows.

the reason you are getting a darker color and more brown is due to your lighting mainly. the less light the puple gets the darker/more brown it will become. if you get MH i am sure you will see a more brilliant purple come out. heck when i had 2x36w only the tips were purple and the rest looked browish. now ALL of it is a nice purple w/ my 150w DE MH. i am sure i will get even better color from the 400w Radium too.

also, you water will play a role in color. a green acro in a friends tank might turn purple in yours w/ the same lights. that is 1/2 the fun w/ SPS. "you never know what you are gonna get"

Lunchbucket

it seems like your Monti is kinda low in the tank to your lighting, you have a nice center piece rock that you can set this frag on top..closest to the surface as possible...As for the polyps, it may be your water quality as the sps requires good quality, next is your water flow, the sps likes strong current. With all that in check, keep your ALk and CA level high should be good. They will grow like weed, my grow almost 1/2" per week...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I noticed the underside is getting white :/ I've moved the piece to the top of the tank in hopes the added light will revive it. Fairly frustrated now though. If this one doesn't make it I'm not doing sps again till I get MH tank set up.

Also going to be switching salts. Going to tropic marin next WC.

Archived