Coral Vue Hydros

Isaka's Waterbox 10

Isaka

Hey fellow nano reefers. Welcome to the journal for my Waterbox 10 reef build. I have been out of reefing for quite some time, but with the prospect of working from home indefinitely it seemed like a great time to add a little life to my office. I plan to track progress as well as details that I (and hopefully others) can reference later.  I will keep this initial post for my latest pics as well as current equipment, supplements, etc.

Tank Start Date 6/21/2021

Equipment

Tank: Waterbox 10 (10.9 Gallons)

RODI System: Aquatic life RO Buddie Plus 4 stage (50gpd)

Lights: AI Prime 16HD with 12" flex arm

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Nano (110gph)

Wave Maker: AI Nero 3 Pump (2000gph) 

Auto Top Off: XP Aqua Duetto

Heater: Eheim 50w

Temp Controller: Inkbird ITC-308S

Testing

HoneForest TDS/Temp meter

Red Sea Marine Care test kit (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

Refractometer

Filtration

Filter Floss

Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon

Real Reef rock

Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade

• Like 3

Waterbox 10 unboxing and RODI system setup!! 

I looked at a few tanks and finally decided on the Waterbox 10. I liked the dimensions, the layout of the rear chambers, the fact that all pieces are glass, and starphire glass! I went with the 10 gallon because I wanted to keep it on my desk which doesn’t have room for anything larger. Here are the specs on the tank and I included a pic of what all comes with the tank for those interested.

Below are all the important specs for reference
Volume: 10.9 Gallons
Glass: Starphire 5mm (1/5")
Outside Dimensions: 13.78" x 14.21" x 13.78"
Overflow Chamber: 3.14" x 3.14" x 13.6"
Media Chamber: 5.5" x 3.14" x 13.6"
Return Pump Chamber: 3.14" x 3.14" x 13.6"

tankandparts.png

One of the things I wanted to do was get a RODI system going at home to save trips to the LFS (one less excuse for being lazy about water changes). I just finished setting up the Aquatic Life RO Buddie RODI system today that you can get off Amazon for around $60. I would not call this plug and play, the faucet adapter they provided really only works if you have a faucet that is the same as a hose bibb (3/4") so I had to DIY an adapter to fit my sink. I purchased a couple of 6 gallon Igloo camping water jugs to hold RODI water with the hopes to just refill once per month. The RODI system is rated at 50gph and I would say that is pretty accurate based on my results this far. I tested the water using a HoneForest TDS meter also purchased from Amazon and the readings are looking good. 

goodbadrodi.png

• Like 4

Adding water, setting up flow, and lights!!

I filled the tank with RODI water and we have no leaks!! I swapped the included pump out with a Sicce Nano which I am running at 75% power. I am going to use the removed pump for mixing salt and want to keep the in tank gear as quiet as possible. I also added the AI Nero 3 wave maker... when I first powered it on at 100% I had water coming over the edge 😆. I made some adjustments (pics below on my settings) and now am getting a medium/high flow up top and a low/medium flow on the bottom which is what I was looking for. 

I also added the AI Prime 16 HD with 12” flex arm to the tank. I am keeping it 8” over the water and am running BRS recommended levels that you can find on youtube at around 60% power. I noticed that running power 70%+ that the fans on the light tend to run quite a bit which generates some extra noise.

ai_settings.jpg

• Like 2

Hey deb, I ordered some Real Reef dry rock. I will miss not having the fun of seeing what pops out of live rock but this is more eco friendly and will allow me a lot of time to rock scape, break and glue rocks, etc.  I think your thread also convinced me to put a lid of some sorts on this cube, that poor clown fish... 😥

Auto Top off and heater!!

So I ran into my first snag of the project.. The Eheim heater I purchased was faulty, the temps were all over the place. Not a huge deal as there is nothing in the tank, but I think I am convinced I should keep 2 heaters on hand going forward. I did go ahead and setup an Inkbird temp controller for an additional fail safe and temp gauge.

I also set up an XP Aqua Duetto Auto Top-off system and am using a standard 2.5 gallon aquarium under my desk for the reservoir. I would say my only complaint so far is the sensor seems to rotate a little too easy for my liking. 

ato_electrical.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Isaka

I run a very simple set up and always have. After years of just topping off manually I finally got an ATO now it is one of my favorite pieces of equipment. Dry rock makes a lot of sense but I must admit I usually sneak a small amount of live rock into the tank to help with biodiversity. I hope you get a full refund or replacement on the faulty heater. Inside your cabinet looks so organized. Good job. Yes I encourage everyone to use a lid. All fish can jump. No lid is visually appealing but fish on the floor isn't worth it IMO.

• Like 1

Rocks...Sand...Water...Cycle!

I got a shipment of real reef dry rock in and got to work trying to come up with an aquascape I like. I ended up breaking a few pieces and using putty and glue to put things together. In the end I think I gave myself 2 upper areas to put SPS/LPS and 2 lower areas to put Softies. I also added about 1-1.5 inch of Caribsea arag-alive Special grade live sand. I am using microbacter7 to help cycle the tank. I am going to leave the lights off during the cycle to hopefully prevent any algae blooms. and now I wait... 

0629_tank.jpg

Ohhh....nice rockscape!  

When I saw your TDS "before" reading, I thought...he must live in California.  But I guess Texas is bad too LOL.  We now live in Colorado and I get readings in the 30s, out of the tap, which is pretty sweet :).

On 6/25/2021 at 3:29 AM, Isaka said:

Auto Top off and heater!!

So I ran into my first snag of the project.. The Eheim heater I purchased was faulty, the temps were all over the place. Not a huge deal as there is nothing in the tank, but I think I am convinced I should keep 2 heaters on hand going forward. I did go ahead and setup an Inkbird temp controller for an additional fail safe and temp gauge.

I also set up an XP Aqua Duetto Auto Top-off system and am using a standard 2.5 gallon aquarium under my desk for the reservoir. I would say my only complaint so far is the sensor seems to rotate a little too easy for my liking. 

ato_electrical.jpg

I actually run two heaters for this particular reason. I set one to 77F and one to 78F incase one fails. The small temperature drop lets me know if one has failed or not 

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Wow!  Waterbox 10 gallon that is so sweet!  They make incredible tanks, I am tunned in to your progress.  I love nano sized systems like the one you are starting.  It is very hard to push these small tanks to their limits.  You have picked the right tools, AI HD 16 prime and Nero3, amazing as I also have those 2 for my tank, have you considered adding a skimmer and UV light?  Also, I have room for the innovative marine LED cheato light, that will also fit in your Waterbox 10.

• Like 1