Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What food and additives do you use for your sticks?

jservedio

I'm curious what other people are feeding and/or dosing (not 1/2/3 part) for their acros? I've never used any additives and normally just broadcast feed frozen oyster eggs and rotifers once or twice a week, but things are always changing so I'm curious what you use?

I started dosing brightwell aminos and aquaforest phyto and my sps colors improved noticeably within a solid week of dosing, but I can’t comment on growth rate because it hasn’t been long enough yet. I also only broadcast feed as well, spot feeding just got too tedious for me with the exception of some coral that are big enough to eat the spirulina I feed the rest of the tank. I know a lot of acro people swear by live phyto though, I want to try it eventually but live foods seem like a hassle to me lol.

• Like 1

I was always curious about phyto, but never wanted to have to have the conversation with my wife about why there was a bottle of green fish goo next to our baby's bottles in the fridge! At least the frozen is in a brown bag.

I've got aminos and an unused dosing head so may experiment with that again since I have so few fish. What I'm really after is better PE!

• Haha 1

Out of everything i used for corals in general, the best results for my tanks was phyto dosing but i did it sparingly, 2 times a week at most and not alot. I also liked reef roids.

I never dosed ohyto until i got dino's, after starting it and seeing an improvement, i continued.

Any time i used amino's, i ended up with issues and never saw any improvement

Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance - Although this is marketed for nutrient reduction and it works well at doing that. One of the benefits is that my coral have plenty of nutrient dense bacteria to feed on. 

Amino acids - I mainly dose this to feed bacteria, which in turn, feed the coral. I don't dose a lot of it, just a few drops per day.

I also dose a 50/50 mixture of Brightwell Phytochrom and Zooplanktos. I'm not really sure how beneficial these are but my fish and shrimp love eating the eggs in the zooplanktos and I'm sure the coral catch and consume some of it.

I broadcast feed Benepets coral food once in a while but I probably don't need to.

8 hours ago, jservedio said:

I was always curious about phyto, but never wanted to have to have the conversation with my wife about why there was a bottle of green fish goo next to our baby's bottles in the fridge! At least the frozen is in a brown bag.

I've got aminos and an unused dosing head so may experiment with that again since I have so few fish. What I'm really after is better PE!

You could always get one of those 12x12 mini fridges that are all over amazon and keep the phyto in there, that’s what I plan to do if the phyto proves worth it lol