Pod Your Reef

What is the best KH Level for your tank/corals?

ecamargo

Hi there,
Long time away from this forum, but I'm trying to get things back on track.

I always test my tank water, every 15 days and every test I perform, I got 6dKH as results. Fixing kh level to 8dKH every water change 15/20 days.
But I could see that my LPS as Euphyllias, Trumpets and Open Brains shrink after increasing alkaline reserve to 8dKH.

I always heard the best KH level for a mix reef tank was 7~9dKH.

But nowadays I'm was seeing my LPS better when the kh Level is around 6-6.5dKh.

How about you guys?

Hope hear back your experience soon.

cya!

It's much more important to keep your alkalinity stable rather than at a specific number. Sudden jumps in alkalinity is placing a lot of stress on your corals.

Is your water change causing your dKH to rise to 8? or are you dosing an additive to raise it?

Murphs_Reef

Yeah absolutely, stability is key, I have mine at around 9.3, that wasn't a decision... It's just what the salt mixes at. 

I was speaking to a guy that keeps only soft coral in the LFS a few weeks back who keeps is at 5.5.... that's a right shocker I'd you ask me.  

6 - 6.5 is considered low.

Nsw is 7 dkh.

Stability is key but levels should be in the normal range with most opting fir 7.5(gives you wiggle room before it drops to low levels) up to 12

I personally preferred around 8 dkh

1 hour ago, Murphych said:

It's just what the salt mixes at.

I'm with Murphych, I try to keep alkalinity in my tank stable at my salt mix level.  That way, a water change of any size has a neutral effect (or works to correct things if off just a little).

If you are unhappy with the levels of your salt mix, then change your mix.  Another note, high alkalinity will burn SPS tips if inorganic nutrient levels are ultra low.  If keeping nutrient levels low on purpose, you should consider using a salt mix that's close to natural seawater levels.

It's pretty amazing how any value between 7 and 12dKH can grow coral when kept stable.  Automatic dosing pumps can help; however, I've also seen where a dosing problem can wipe out a tank.

• Like 2

Corals aren't really that susceptable to low KH unless there is too much nutrients, I've had acropora growing at like 4-5dkh just fine, as long as it's stable.

If you're just getting that drop of 2dkh over 2 weeks LPS will be fine, but you can dose the missing elements using something like Tropic Marin All For Reef which also balances the trace elements to match, to avoid a shock in alk with the water change. I'd recommend dosing a small amount daily if you can with adosingg pump, but you can do twice- weekly and just test as well. 

• Like 1