Innovative Marine Aquariums

Over kill?

jay2k2

my cousin has a reef tank 45 gallons 36x12x18 i think!

well anyways his tank contains 30 lbs live rock. 6 green chromis, 2 siscor tail gobys, 1 firefish goby, 1 red scooter blenny, a yellow tang about 3inches and a hippo tang about 3.5 inches. he has about 16-17 corals and an anenome all under a 2x30 watt NO lighting! i have no clue how he does it the aneome has grown double size! and he never does water changes , by the way the aneome is long tenticle. and he just recently bought a surgeon fish a unknown speices. anyways i just thought i'd let you know! he also said he could add another 5 small fish to his tank!? what are your thoughts?

Christopher Marks

Well, that's not going to be typical for many other people.  It's hard to say how or why it's working for him - then again, it might not for very long.

maybe he's using icecap ballasts.  they pump up NO's as well as HO and VHO's.  

also the mushrooms don't need that much anyway, the anenome can switch to a more carnivorous metabolism versus a bias to photosynthesis.  does he have the soft corals up high? that may be enough, may be.

if it works more power to him. ;)

yeah the tank has been running for about 1.4 years and the corals some are high but most of them are low like in the sand. it may be a time bomb but we will see!

Archived