inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish - Is Three a Crowd?

bellemeraude

bellemeraude

We have a 55 gallon reef tank with two 2 year old clownfish, each a different species. They're not bonded and they definitely don't love each other, but they try to tolerate each other. One of them, Boogie, is a little terror (aggressive with the corals and just a spaz in general) and I'm thinking he might be bored and wanting a buddy/mate. I'd like to look for a juvenile of the same species for him to hopefully bond with. My concern is any negative impact it would have on the other clown. Is it just a situation where you go for it and hope for the best?

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm surprised that the two clownfish of separate species gets along in a 55 gallon tank.  But just speculating, there's a possibility that the introduction of a mate might introduce even more aggression in an attempt to defend its mate.

I'd consider removing one of the existing clownfish in exchange for a young juvenile of the same species as the remaining clown.  Then, if you wanted another fish (but not a clownfish), you should be able to add it without much trouble.

• Like 2

What species of clowns do you have.

As Seabass has suggested, i'd rehome the one clown and get a mate for another.

As clowns age, aggression gets worse and more so once a pair mate.

Often 3 becomes 2 or 1.

There are clown harem tanks but there is a very specific method to achieve success with clown harems. No species mixing and all from the sane clutch

Paired clownfish, if they decide to spawn can become murderously aggressive. I agree that adding a mate may be a ticking time bomb if they get babies on the mind.