inTank Media Baskets

Odd Little things growing around my zoos

Sickboy

Okay, Have to tap the well of knowledge *again*.... :)

The zoos at the bottom-right are surrounded by little brownish things with a black center...what are they? They retract at night. There is a hole where ever you see them.

Anyone???

9139zooid-med.jpg

Thanx for any input....:happy:

Since they retract, I'd have to vote for some type of feather duster. I have some that look similar, only they are white and not as numerous.

Thanks for the complements!

Cesar - Yeah, they're hikers. I've had them for months now and I couldn't stand it anymore...:) I had to ask someone.

Hartdude - I dunno, your guess is as good as mine.

matthewruno - Yeah, makes sense. Thats a good guess too.

Do they retract quickly if you poke them? Are they smooth along the edges?

If you are afraid they are going to your zoos, you should send the rock to me, zoos and all. I'll take good care of them. :P

It is a type of rock boring sponge. Most of the animal is within the rock. It expells a corrosive acid from its' base in order to dissolve the surrounding rock. I believe they are related to seasquirts and such, but do not hold me to that. I am not too sure on the name, but I have something similar in my tank, only 2 though. You might ocassionally see the orafice open and close for a brief second a few times a day. I have only seen it do this in my tank a few times, kinda rare when it does. Anyways, it is just a filter feeder so look at it as a form of filtration, lol. ;)

Originally posted by matthewruno

Since they retract, I'd have to vote for some type of feather duster. I have some that look similar, only they are white and not as numerous.

I vote you're an idiot.

Originally posted by demon2

I vote your an idiot.

I agree.

Look like shrooms to me. Featherdusters are feathery, and not solid like disks (like SHROOMS).

Undertheradar

many feather duster - like worms have no 'feathers'...I have a few that are nothing but 'disks' that stick out. Besides a sponge or squirt of some sort, I would vote for some type of feather-duster relative...

sick,

you ever get a somewhat positive ID on those? i've been watching this thread hoping someone would come up with the answer.

i've seen the same/similar thing. i thought they were tiny shrooms but they're so many and did not get bigger.

the rock-boring sponge thought was very interesting. ime it does go/stay with holes in the rock rather than typical shroom 'crawling' on the surface behaviour. it looked like tiny shrooms but i just didn't think so. please keep us informed, thanks!

tinyreef,

Unfortunately, I never did get a definitive answer. I did however, get some good ideas. The sponge idea was very interesting and seemingly (to me) the most plausible until I remembered they retract at night. Do sponges retract? Mine never move, never grow, they are always in the holes that you see them. I guess its possible to have some type of hybrid shroom/zoo that lives in holes and such, but all the shrooms I've ever seen was on the surfaces. If I really look closely, you can see a center 'bump' like a mouth on a zoo/shroom. I dunno? If you find out any info, please share it :)

Seek and ye shall find....Hmmm...unless its these things! :)

Archived