Coral Vue Hydros

Convincing Parents to let me keep nano reef

Blubblub

Hi everyone,

So the situation is I am going to college in 4 months and have decided to tear down my 40G saltwater tank and convert it to freshwater- because sadly,I will not be home every week to give it the attention it deserves! (I am paying for everything, and my parents have agreed that freshwater is more manageable for them  and I will be able to do maintenence when I come home every second weekend)

However, I have grown very attached to a pair of clownfish I have had since I started the tank 5 years ago....  I have already emailed the landlord and they have agreed that I can keep a small fish tank in my college dorm, which I was very excited about, because it would mean I could possibly bring a nano reef to college and keep my clownfish! I would have to keep the tank in the house until I move out in September, but my parents have disagreed as they do not want another tank in the house. (Keep in mind, the 40G is the only tank we have and I do everything, from paying for it to taking care of the fish)

Im not sure how to convince them and thought someone might have some advice!

You might need to come to terms with the fact that there may be no convincing them, which sucks I know. Are you part of a local reefing community/group? Perhaps someone or an lfs can hold on to them for you until you get a new tank set up in your dorm?

While this probably isn’t the best advice, (I am a teenager myself) I like to say.... 

“It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!”

Hope you get to keep your fish! 

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com

Since you won't be home all that often to enjoy a freshwater tank (and your parents probably aren't that excited about tending to it), I might just sell off the 40 gallon as college approaches.  Then pickup a suitable nano reef tank for school for your clownfish.

You'll probably find that you'd rather stick around at school than coming home for cookies and tank maintenance.

• Like 7

Why not just tear down the 40g and keep it for the future and set up a small sw for the clowns.

Win win. You get to have your clowns and its only 1 tank.

Even a freshwater 40g still requires regular care that your folks may not want the responsibility of dealing with while you are at school. 

This also gives you less expenses and work as well because you would need to take care of yoir sw in the dorm and the fw when at home....do you think you will be able to deal with all that plus school and possibly work?

• Like 2

I set up a bunch of freshwater tanks (75 gallon 2 55's, a 29 gallon) the summer before college. My first semester, having all the tanks was really overwhelming, and I rehomed the fish and sold the 2 55's. Don't overestimate the amount of time you will have to care for your tanks and fish.

Also, I don't understand why would would set up a 40 gallon freshwater at home if you will be at college? I would not want someone else who is not super excited about the tank to take care of my fish, and if you are only going home on weekends (which you may not end up doing every weekend, due to time, wanting to spend it with friends or at college events, etc.) I don't think its worth it personally. 

• Like 2