Cultivated Reef

1 Year Update Nano Cube

BRISK495

Hello- Just wanted to share some pics of my Nano Cube after 1 year. I will soon be upgrading to the new JBJ hood. Has anyone purchased this yet??

Here is the link to pics of my tank:

http://public.fotki.com/BRISK495/aquarium/

Consists of:

Nano Cube with Stock lighting

Turbo Snails

Xenia

Various Mushrooms

Green Star Polyps

Various zoos

Purple Monti Digi Frag

False Perc

Yellow Goby

Royal Gramma

no major deaths....I had a yellow figi i had to give away because of its light requirements....i had a goby that just wouldnt eat anything...other then that pretty good survival rate....

omens do you have a cube???

I have the JBJ nano DX. I love it now that I have modified it. When I first bought it, I got temps in the mid 80s with room temp being 78 or so.

I replaced the fans, supplemented the power for the fans, and pulled the temps way down. So much that I added the ballast and light from my original cube and now have 3 x 24.

The hood will not interchange with the old nanocube. Although the tanks are dimensionally the same, the fit and finish of the DX is much better, in addition, the hinges on the DX wont fit the Original Nano cube.

Let me take that back...

It will fit the original nano, but you must do some mods (grinding off the original hinges) to pull it off.

The tank looks great and JBJ did a good job on this one (except for the heat problem). When I called JBJ, they stated that the focus group chose the quietest fans over cooling the hood... go figure....

thats my 2 cents. No flaming please.

Hey CCJung- I appreciate your imput on this. I'm deciding what to do with my hood. (I just lookied at your site with the 3 x24's) Looks great!! What do you have in your tank?? Any pics?

Actually right now, I have the original JBJ nano and the hood isnt even attaced because it was such a pain in the ass when I took it off to replace the ballast (when it went out last November!!!). So if the nw hood looks as though it could lay fairly peacful (maybe not looking perfect), I d like to look into getting it. In fact, I did email JBJ and they said it wouldn'f fit like the other hood. However, I think there are two reasons they say this:

1) Technically, it is safer. A little more nicer to look at if you get a whole new Nano DLX

2) They want you to spend the money to buy a completely new tank.

ive been stoked with my setup so far. I'm running sometimes 1 degree BELOW ambient!!!.. I have to do topoffs much more often, but the corals are happy and the lighting is bright :)

I live very very close to JBJ and have established a relationship with the mfg, so I will be offering retro kits or the entire hood (in mid nov or so).

Pricing is as yet to be determined. I will be setting up a website shortly to showcase the kit. This isn't all about money... As i set up the website, I will be putting together a parts list and instructions on how to retro it yourself if thats your liking.

There is some sheet metal bending of the heat shield, and some dremel here and there, so I plan to target those who dont have the time/want to do it themselves.

The nano cube market is unique in that most who buy it find the clean look of it it's best aspect. The DX with the mods i have done is completely indistiguishible from teh stock DX. its almost teh AMG or M of the nano cube world...heheh

stay tuned....

Thanks for the kind words.. I gotta earn my wings again on this forum...

Wow CCJung- That's great!! Can't wait to see your website with all the details. For an update, I ordered my new DX hood yesterday so it should be here in PA next week. Once I make any necessary adjustments so that it fits cleanly on my old cubes hood, I will look to install the extra light from the old ballast(Midas well if its sitting around!!). Hopefully, you will have your site up soon so I can take a look at the plans. Interested in the extras like the "heat sheild". Where did you place the old ballast in the new hood??

Ohh and by the way CCjung, your tank pics look great!

HEY TVU- Yeah it s stock lighting but I m getting the upgraded BJ Nano Cube hood next week. I will probably retrofit another 24 watts as well. Definitely a good observation, they are really stretching there!!!!!

The stock ballast from the original JBJ was resoldered and relocated. It now sits outside of the hood and is wall mounted. Got some honeydoos to do now, but will post pics later today of the setup...

You lower lighting might be a good thing. That xenia you have would be all over the place otherwise :-) I wouldn't keep xenia attached to any of your rocks or it will spread like wildfire. I keep mine seperated so it doesn't spread. Just a suggestion.

Yea- I actually just got my new nano cube 48 watt hood.....ready to go except they forgot to ship the ballast!!!! Oh well, have to wait till Thursday to see how much better the tank will be.....

Archived