inTank Media Baskets

So anybody got a clue what I just bought?

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Was scrolling through fb marketplace and came across this deal! 30 minutes later I'm loading it up along with a 5g bucket full of sand and beatiful rock for additional 20 bucks! After Some quick calculations it looks to be betweenn14-16 gallons. Been a few years since I even had a tank but couldn't pass it up for what I paid! No freaking clue what it is however. I guessing im first gen but not totally sure! 

Screenshot_20210601-214207.png

gulfsurfer101
13 hours ago, Murphych said:

What are the dimensions on it? It kinda looks a bit like the aqua one nano 80 but can't tell properly. 

I believe I measure it yesterday to 24"L x14w x14H!

11 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm thinking it's an Innovative Marine Nuvo 16.

61btJpK45RL._AC_SY355_.jpg

That makes sense. It looks just like that and has two brackets right in place where those stock lamps are sitting inn tis pic.

• Like 2
burtbollinger

looks like the notorious IM 16...which I wouldn't put in any room I cared about. Everyone I ever knew with one had a catastrophic failure...total blowouts.  Perfect tank to run in an unfinished basement with a inexpensive few neon tetras and some crypts, well away from electric outlets and power strips.  Would not stock with anything $$$$, as the odds of it failing within a year, I'd put at @ 40 percent.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, burtbollinger said:

looks like the notorious IM 16

It's probably ten years old.  I wonder if it was wet the whole time.  I'm not sure if the longevity of this particular tank is a good sign or just pressing your luck.

Gulfsurfer101, I couldn't tell you about the reliability of this particular model, but burtbollinger was active during that time frame, and I wouldn't discount what he said.  I certainly would do some research before getting too far with this particular tank.

I agree it looks like an IM 16 to me too.  That was my last tank - I had it up about 3 years I think with no problems and took it down because I was upgrading.   It even survived a move with no trouble.  Mine was new in box from a place that was going out of business.  I got a great deal on it, or so I thought until I did more googling afterwards! 😂

The advice I got at the start was not to put any wave makers on the glass because the vibrations would stress the weak parts.  If I remember correctly the blow outs were happening on the curved corners.  So if you do decide to run it, that's something to consider - you can choose limited flow options or greater risk of failure.  

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Looks like I'm upgrading soon then lol! I did not miss this hobby one bit lolol! Looks like I'll be drilling a 20 or 40g this weekend!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1