Pod Your Reef

My 15g

d2700

Hey everyone this is the start of my thread about my tank im setting up. Here's a rundown of what I bought and set up today:

15g aquarium

coralife 24" 65w PC

ac300

zoo med powersweep 212

neptune 100w heater (in my ac300)

instant ocean hydrometer

oceanic salt mix 90g jug

This is what I got today. In the near future I will get or make a skimmer and also get a saltwater multi test kit. Tune in next weekend for live rock and sand!

Ok so d2700 is actually the same person as me. I forgot my password to this account so made a new one but then I found a peice of scrap paper I had my password written on for this account. ANYWAYS... continueing on...

This weekend I bought a bag of 20lb aragonite sand and about 19lbs of live rock. At Big Al's they wanted 9$ a pound for this crappy brown muck live rock so I got my live rock from an lfs I found in the yellow pages. This place was sweet, great corals and they let me go into the back and handpcik live rock from this big tub full of it. They charged 6$/lb and 8$/lb for two different types of rocks I got a mix of each so they just gave it to me all for 7$/lb and they rounded the weight down so I got a good deal. (Live rock in Canada is expensive, 6$ a pound is a steal comparable to like $3.50/lb in america). When I was picking through the rock I found a little rock covered with these little red dots, hopefully they are some sort of coral polyp.

Here's a picture of my set up before I added the live sand and live rock:showphoto.php?photo=5257&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=

And here it is with sand and rock added (still cloudy I'll get another pic once it settles):

showphoto.php?photo=5258

Anyways now comes the big wait while my tank cycles. I'll pick up a multi test kit and I'm going to get a prizm skimmer once Big Al's gets them in. For the next month or so while it cycles I can just dream of all the things I will get....:P and maybe do some re-aquscaping.B)

• 2 weeks later...

Cycle has finished. I added 1 candystripe hermit crab, 5 astrea snails, and one big turbo. I also bought a prizm skimmer that didn't really work at first but now it's pulling junk out and I'm pretty happy with it.

pic:showphoto.php?photo=5521&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=

pic:showphoto.php?photo=5522&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=

Archived