ReefCleaners.org

Tail spot blenny died, why?

Dane M.

My tail spot does this morning he was probably about 5 months old from the time I got him. I have a 15 gal bow front. I just got some coral from a friend and have a royal gramma, black and white clown, and lawnmower blenny. 

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

While it's possible to introduce a fish parasite by introducing something from an infected tank, that probably wasn't the problem.  Did you notice anything unusual (like white spots, weight loss, or bloating)?

Yes I have had the royal gramma and clown for at least 6 months. And the tail spot for at least 2 months. The lawnmower is the newest at about 3.5 weeks. I also got coral from a friend who has a 250 gal saltwater. He told me that 4 fish would be fine as they were all pretty small in size. 

is there lots of algae? i feed my tail spot once a day but he spends a good portion of his time chomping on green hair algae during the rest of the day.

natalia_la_loca

I’d be very concerned about 2 fish deaths in 24 hours. What are your water parameters? Are the other fish eating, acting normally? Pics would help too.

Yes there is a lot of green hair algae in the tank. The salinity is at normal levels same with ph and temp but those are the only things I can test. The other fish are acting fine right now. 

image.jpg