SaltCritters.com

Gluing rocks to a established tank.

michaelbog

michaelbog

Hello everyone,

I would like to add a small piece of rock into my sons 10 gallon. It’s about 5 years old. Thoughts on how to do this. Super glue might work. But I’d like to use something stronger as the rock would kinda make an over hang. Is there a safe way of doing this? I might be over thinking it. Can you use the epoxy stuff you use when you set the scape before adding water. Is there one that you can use in the water. Sorry lots of questions. 

You can use reef epoxy, i found two little fishies aquastik works decently.

If you use alot i would glue the rock and do a waterchange after just to beon the safe side because all epoxies can cloud up the tank and some have had issues after. 

It would take a lot of superglue and it still may not work if the rock is hanging/not fully supported.

Use a super glue - epoxy - super glue sandwich.

Basically, lightly dry the spot you want to attach on the new rock and put a bunch of super glue (gel works best, just ensure it’s cyanoacrylate).  Then place ball of epoxy and then add super glue on the other side of the epoxy that will be going on established rock. Push the new rock on the established rock where you want it, and kind of twist it back and forth to really spread the epoxy and ensure the glue adheres (when exposed to water super glue with develop a skin).

The epoxy ensures the rocks mold to one another, while the glue is provides the hold. You can find a YouTube video demonstrating it as that is how I learned. Is also super effective for securing frags to rocks. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Use a super glue - epoxy - super glue sandwich.

Basically, lightly dry the spot you want to attach on the new rock and put a bunch of super glue (gel works best, just ensure it’s cyanoacrylate).  Then place ball of epoxy and then add super glue on the other side of the epoxy that will be going on established rock. Push the new rock on the established rock where you want it, and kind of twist it back and forth to really spread the epoxy and ensure the glue adheres (when exposed to water super glue with develop a skin).

The epoxy ensures the rocks mold to one another, while the glue is provides the hold. You can find a YouTube video demonstrating it as that is how I learned. Is also super effective for securing frags to rocks. 

Definitely this! The epoxy sandwich works the best and is permanent. It will work far better if you take the rock out of the tank.

One other thing - make sure you prepare both surfaces extremely well. For your existing rock, use a firm toothbrush or nylon brush to really, really clean where you are going to be gluing. Then use a paper towel to dry off the spot to get it as dry as possible. For the new rock make sure it's been cleaned really well and fully dried. You don't want any rock dust.

After you glue it, keep the rock out for 5 or 10 minutes to let it start to cure then toss the whole thing back in. If it's a big overhang, cut a piece of PVC or egg crate or something to support it while it dries for the next 24 hours.

I use JB Waterweld as the epoxy, but pretty much any stick epoxy that is potable water safe will work.

• 4 weeks later...