inTank Media Baskets

ID please, w/ Pics

ajroahkni

I'm going crazy. Is it possible to have a 6 legged brittle star? All the photos I've seen have had five legs. My tank has one that I swear has six, though a few are cut at the nubs - maybe he had a complex and decided to do imself in?

Ummmmm I dont see anything. Cept zooanthids, a Sea squirt, Tunicate, Coraline algae, red Maco Caluerpa, live rock and a stupid post.

Ther eis no rule that a starfish has to have 5 arms.X)

no fence intended more than is implied... ya need to do some more reading and a little less hasty posting when ya have a question. It will get ya farther in this hobbby ;)

Do they all spring from crevises in the rocks (i.e. could there be more to this creature inside the hole)? If not it appears so be a very fancy (and odd) sponge... lol. What is the texture like? Does it respond to movement (flick the glass to send a shockwave)? Does it respond to light? It looks cool... my guess is a sponge, unless I'm not looking at the entire animal... hey dave, follow directons

in the upper right corner on this one
-hehe LOL, sorry I couldn't resist

LETS PLAY GUESS WHAT I SEE THAT ISNT EHRE !

WTF ARE U LOOKING AT? I see no pink pokie thing, so lets PLAY.... Pick by number cause the dope doesnt know WTF he is describing.....X)

Thanks for the rudimentary drawing Picasso. I'm going to go with crayon scribble #1. Except #1 in the top right corner and not #1 the tunicate. Stop smoking the crack pipe D. They don't LOOK the same to me, but I'm not a crabby ass sh!thole like you.

Sea Squirt/Tunicate - kinda large family group to encompass one "balloon-like" tunicate and one skinny thing w/ one visible port to it. Either you know what it is, or STFU and tell me to ask Dr. Ron.

Life must really suck being you, and for that, your *invisible* apology is accepted.

---

Smile Dave:P . Have a beer, get comfy. relax that ass.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Ther eis no rule that a starfish has to have 5 arms.X)  

no fence intended more than is implied... ya need to do some more reading and a little less hasty posting when ya have a question. It will get ya farther in this hobbby ;)

From www.starfish.ch:

Characteristics of brittle stars

Brittle stars are close relatives of sea stars. Characterized by radial symmetry with a central body from which five snakelike arms protrude. The arms are highly flexible. There is no replication of internal organs, just one set in the central disk.

From www.abyss.com.au:

Appearance

Brittle stars have a central disc like body with 5 arms coming out of the disc.

Did some reading. All (incl. the two above) referenced ophiuroids as having 5 legs. Thought someone here knew better. Didn't expect to receive your cryptic, offensive reply to my thread - bet you were that little boy in kindergarten that beat up the other kids as a sign of affection.

---

Send me a flaming pile of turd when you wake up this weekend.

:P TTYL esPi

They're just attached to the rock. No visible "core" of a body. The appendages do not respond to shockwaves, nor do they seem to have movement from touching something. Seems like their "arms" grow and thin out (girth) until they just disconnect and float away.

The attached pic is of the first one I noticed. When I set up the tank (2 wks ago), it was a lot shorter. I think it grew some 2" since then.

BTW, the orange sponges under the rock are NOT connected/associated with this thing. They're separate surprises.

Thanks for the civility PD01.

John

there's only one number one. Mayhap you thought his 13 was another 1. I thought it was rather nice of him to label your picture for you though cause that doesnt look very pink to me. I wish I could take pics that close up that well.

Hey jfly, you're right.

And you know what? I'm a sorry a$$ loser for not seeing the -> as a 3.

A real feeble attempt from me. Gotta give up my dreams of being a penishead now and settle for being all-around Mr. Nice Guy.

"Well golly gosh Dave. I'm so sorry for getting my knickers in a bunch there. Whaddaya say, water under the bridge? Bygones be bygones? . . . what was that? Stick my head where?":D

hehh.... nice post, its a good thing I was being humerous :woot:

Yes a Starfish can have 6 legs. thy can also reproduce fy fission and can ocasionaly grow more legs in the process OR if one has been amputated and another one grows, it can split in 2.

The descrtiption I was sooooo thrilled with is now aparent to be an encrusting sponge. They are filter feders, and quite benificial. They will come and go depending on flow and DOS levels in a tank. They do not like dirrect light as it will cause nusance algaes to choke it. some angelfish and crabs will eat it also. as to the particular species... Ya got me flying off a bridge.

Oh and its not a 1 -> its 13 :P ZING !

<<<---- Lights up crack torch for John with Flamethrower

Archived