ReefCleaners.org

Considering switching to Seahorses.. Help and advice?

Draco

Hi all

I presently have a 6 yearold established reef tank, and I am heavily thinking about switching it over to seahorses (been thinking about it for years, and now I'm ready for a change)

I'd like to know what I'd need to get rid of, and what I can keep for these cuties? And any advice so I can consider if the switch is right for me?

75g tank with 30g sump

Equipment which is pretty basic:
Skimmer
Carbon reactor
Macspect Gyro (Def will have to go, too powerful)
Heater (I'll probably turn off since it gets really warm in my place anyway)
ATO

Livestock- I am sure all will have to go:
Bristletooth tang
Foxface
2 paired clowns
2 melarious wrasses
engineer goby
starry blenny
Filefish

Coral (this I will need help with as I know some are stingers):
Gorgonian (see photo for the size of this thing, think the horsies would love it?)
Galaxia
Monti
Duncan
Kenya (working on getting rid of)
Zoas

Toadstoolsimage.gif.341d7eddddd506330947b10c357be0e4.gifimage.gif.341d7eddddd506330947b10c357be0e4.gif

The tank has about 50-60lbs of live rock. I assume I would have to weed some of this down and do mostly sandy bottom?

Any advice would be great as I continue my research image.gif.341d7eddddd506330947b10c357be0e4.gif

75G.jpeg

natalia_la_loca

Since it gets warm in your place, I would invest in a chiller to keep the temp at 74f or under. My  Arctica chiller worked great with my seahorse tank. 

I would also consider getting a UV sterilizer to assist with disease prevention.

My seahorses handled high flow just fine. I had a gyre pump.

Your seahorses will love the gorg, but the gorg may not love the seahorses. It may suffer from being hitched on all the time, or it might be okay if it’s otherwise thriving. Kenya may be annoying but mine tolerated being hitched on very well.

• Like 1