Pod Your Reef

LED lights for arch decoration

steviejitsu

steviejitsu

Hey guys! 

So I'm building a cafe and am trying to install some led lights for an arch hallway. (Example Pictured below). Not the typical reef lighting, but I couldn't think of a better group to ask.
arch.thumb.jpeg.22ed673d56a314829a27656ddfb399f1.jpeg

What would you guys recommend? 

I'm looking at these flexible led lights, but thought I'd ask the true LED pioneers. 😂

Option 1 would be using something like this.

IMG_4041.thumb.PNG.0654eb5639bd6da5b0b1651ade8d81d2.PNG

Option 2 would be some sort of opaque acrylic between walls with LED strips inside.

1799039082_image2.thumb.jpg.9628459c352b5c2cd85646890791912f.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.9d2414cb8bb1c3a86c0da4c6bc8c1794.jpg

Would love to hear from you guys.

steviejitsu

Thanks seabass! Always so helpful. The frosted light diffuser might be the way to go. 

I was looking for the right type of plastic material to cover the slots with!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 3:22 PM, seabass said:

I think you are on the right track with under cabinet LED strips (or ribbon lights):

They are readily available (and fairly affordable); and some form of flexible frosted light diffuser might be used to hide the strips or ribbons.

Hey, Seabass, do you think something like this be able to grow plants? 

I have an arched glass cabinet that I've been putting plants in to keep away from my cats and I'm looking for something to light the top. I have 2ft grow lights, but because of the arch, I am unable to mount them at the top. Right now the top foot of the cabinet is wasted space. 

I thought flexible leds would work to mount to the underside of the arched glass, but wasn't sure of these would be right to grow plants. 

13 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Hey, Seabass, do you think something like this be able to grow plants? 

I suppose it might depend on the plant.  Plants with a need for direct sunlight might not get enough light with most of these LED strips.  I feel like it's more of a matter of intensity, although spectrum does matter.

My phyto cultures do great with just a typical household LED bulb with a daylight spectrum.  You can see in this article that plants (algae in this case) tend do better with a daylight spectrum than with one that is more yellow:

https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/inexpensive-refugium-bulb

Obviously grow lights tend to be more heavy on the red spectrum:

https://www.amazon.com/ABelle-ZCplus-Lights-Waterproof-Spectrum/dp/B01NAC7ZOC/

Although aesthetically to us, grow lights might not be as desirable.

I might try to find white LEDs in the daylight spectrum (IDK, maybe like 5,000K to 6,000K).  I assume that the brighter the better for most plants; but I certain low light plants might be fine with less intensity.

• Thanks 1