inTank Media Baskets

2.5 Mini bow lighting question

LynusAnn

I just bought a 2.5 gal minibow and curious what people are using for lighting over their mini's? I was thinking that since the socket that comes w/ it can only power up to a max of 15w that maybe i should changet the socket so I can put a higher watt bulb over it, but I don't want overkill on my tank yet I want enough so I can grow some corals out of it. I don't really have the funds though to completely build a whole different lighting setup under the hood though...just hoping to get away w/ chaning the socket out w/ a higher rated one. Thanks for your imput guys.

LynusAnn: you could get one of these lights to fit over the mini-bow. only drawback is you can't use the original hood of the mini-bow but you would have 2x9w of PC lighting which would give u some flexibility in lighting as opposed to 1x13w light. it's a fair price for lighting, so it won't burn a hole in your pocket, but it's still a good chunk of change. anyways, it's just a thought :)

i know many people use this light over their AGA 2.5 gals... so why not for the 2.5 mini-bows :)?

*EDIT* I just found this thread, i think it's worth looking at... i believe this is the same tank as yours... that setup is worth copying if you're into DIY.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...20&pagenumber=1

that would be sweet, unfortunately i've got a bigger, more important nano i'm working on that more of my money is going to. This nano was more of a simple little setup/surprise for my mother since our 80gal is down right now as we're getting ready to get a 135 gal. I was trying to keep it simplistic and somewhat cheap since I won't be around for it anyway seeing as how I don't actually live w/ the parents anymore and am in my own apt away from home.

I just bought one of these for $20.00 at a local fish store. You can buy them online for about $11.00

They are good but they really do make a spotlight effect on my 3 gallon nano thats not very wide.

I am going to try and fit 2 over my tank so I can keep a little more varity than shrooms.

That's a neat little bulb! I got it (after driving to 5 different stores that were all out of it) and we're going to do some modifications on the tank/hood to get it to spread the light out a bit more. If anyone has their own suggestions that would be great!

Archived