Top Shelf Aquatics

would it be best to turn off my powerhead until it anemone safe?

genodesconte

genodesconte

i have a carpet anemone in a redsea 20 cube who is moving around allot the past two weeks.  my powerhead has no guard on it. should i turn the powerhead off until i add a sponge? 

my soft corals always seem to be reaching for current so im not sure if itd be smart or not.

if i do turn it off or remove it should i completely remove it from the tank and rinse it to prevent coraline from growing in the moving parts or can i leave it in the tank turned off for a few days.

i have an aquasky should i add halogens? the anemone is on the back of the tank at the surface of the water.

i included a photo since i dont know the names of the corals. the powerhead is by the intake because i had to move it away from the carpet anemone.

image.jpg

I suppose it could be the pic, but the anemone looks bleached to me; probably from lack of light.  That could also be why it's moving around.  You should be feeding it too.

I've seen some people use mesh or other guards for their powerheads.  I'm not sure what other sources of flow your tank has, but I'd probably be reluctant to turn off it off.  Your tank needs flow.

If you do turn it off, you could just clean it up with a vinegar solution, rinse it off with RO water, then let it dry.  You could also just leave it in your tank, and clean it up before you turn it back on.

• Like 1
genodesconte
12 hours ago, seabass said:

I suppose it could be the pic, but the anemone looks bleached to me; probably from lack of light.  That could also be why it's moving around.  You should be feeding it too.

I've seen some people use mesh or other guards for their powerheads.  I'm not sure what other sources of flow your tank has, but I'd probably be reluctant to turn off it off.  Your tank needs flow.

If you do turn it off, you could just clean it up with a vinegar solution, rinse it off with RO water, then let it dry.  You could also just leave it in your tank, and clean it up before you turn it back on.

maybe a little bleached but im pretty sure its just the light setting in the picture because it was just on the white setting. ive been feeding him and his tentacles will turn more green but they generally stay decently green.

i was going to clean my powerhead with vinegar but was told not to because itd make it rust in the saltwater or something so now im going to buy citric acid on amazon or something.

id like to add more light but i bought it as an established tank and the anemone has had this same lighting for over a year and has seemingly been doing well.

i when i first got the tank i wasnt target feeding the nem so i think thats when allot of color was lost but for the past week or two ive been giving him spirulina brineshrimp everyday.