ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish looks battered

dmitriy loos

dmitriy loos

ive had  a pair of clowns for almost a year at this point and this is the first time i’ve run into fish related issues with them. The smaller of the pair has torn fins, his scales are a bit beaten up, and he has one extremely puffy eye. I only today noticed it’s behavior started to become weird as it was swimming through the caves of my rock work and buried itself in-between the rock and substrate which im assuming is what caused its scale injuries. i have never had issues with these fish before and considering my other clown who is a bit larger looks to be very healthy, not too sure what the issue could be. The only other fish that lives in the tank is a purple dottyback i’ve had for around 6-8 months. any ideas? here are some pictures.  (Im keeping him floating in a net at the surface because he kept attempting to burry himself underneath the rocks and kept getting stuck in the caves which i assume made whatever condition he has worse). The dottyback also has a small tear on its rear fin which to me suggests that they could have been fighting. sometimes i’ll see them chase each other around the tank but i’ve never noticed actual damage or injuries on any of the fish. could there be any reason why they now suddenly show aggression towards each other?? 

UPDATE: My other clownfish for the past 15 minutes has gone back and forth rubbing himself inbetween the polyps of my candy cane coral. Could it be parasites causing them both to scratch themselves on some surface? i do have a cleaner shrimp as well but they do not seem to approach him and on visual inspection I don’t see any parasites on the tissue of the clownfish. could it be coincidence or stress or something? 

2B99679F-F24A-43CC-AD02-5D1C7D6AD6D1.jpeg

90705DB9-10F6-4932-963E-E2FB56C64DC3.jpeg

Edited by dmitriy loos
added update
Carnthetiges

I'm no expert but am experiencing a very similar situation - 2 clowns and dottyback.

The smaller male used to hide amongst the rockwork to keep out of the way of the larger female when she got aggressive (usually mornings and evenings)

Since adding the dottyback there's less space for the clown to hide so he's been more visible to the larger female meaning he's coping it more.

The larger clown has also recently taken an interest in a big rhodactis, wonder if there's a connection.

Was going to suggest leaving a camera running when you're not in the room but he's looking a little rough, that might be a bit of a risk.

Could be the dottyback and clown fighting. Dotty's are an aggressive territorial fish.

The other clown rubbing in the polyps could just be its normal hosting behaviour.

Do you see any white spots on their bodies?