Coral Vue Hydros

what corals can live in my tank under my lighting?

SLACkra

hi all i have a 7.5g cube(12X12X12) and my lighting consists of 3 x 15watt 6500k pc bulbs. i currently have some brown zoos and some green/brown/purple zoos but i want to get more corals. what other corals could i keep under these conditions?

cheers

andrew

Originally posted by Brian da lion

ALMOST ANYTHING

that's a pretty vague answer.

6,500k is OK, but u should consider trying to find some 50/50 bulbs with 10k and actinic blue. zoo's will be fine, some green star polyps, and perhaps a couple mushrooms will do well. also, some non-photosynthetic animals can also be considered, such as gorgonians or tubastrea (sun corals)... but u must be prepared to feed these corals as they MUST receive supplemental feeding in order to thrive in the home aquarium.

you will need to consider getting 10k/actinic to have your corals color up a bit, and with that lighting, you can and should only keep soft corals.

it's all good. WPG is only a VERY general "rule of thumb" that gives ppl a rough estimate of how much minimal lighting they should have. but with reefkeeping that rule should not be the sole basis of judging what you can or cannot keep :)

there are more dimensions to WPG than it seems. for example, 70w of PC doesn't necessarily mean 70w of MH. anyways, it's a long discussion, there have been a couple threads about WPG but we don't need to go into that here.

well this is diy lighting for a nano tank! its hard to get lighting in australia! i have been looking into getting a 8watt antic floro holder and bulb to install into my hood but no luck. so what corals can i keep other than shrooms gsp and zoos?

andrew

Archived