Coral Vue Hydros

Bumblebee snail question

Jakesaw

Picked up a bumblebee snail the other day.  It's the only snail I have b/c I generally don't like em.

This little guy has moved around my rockwork and sand, The last 2 days has been on the base of my Frogspawn coral moving around positions.  

The places where the snail was on Frogspawn yesterday have a brown nub left behind. Does anybody have an idea what this is?  Newish coral - and newer snail.  Trying to figure this one out.

Is the snail laying an egg on the coral? ( I see 2 in the past 24 hours on Frogspawn )

Is it snail poop?

Will it go away in time on it's own?

If the Bumblebee snail is going to lay eggs all over the place I'm probably going to get rid of him.  

Thanks

• Like 1
Nathans_Reef

Could you get a photo of it? Are you sure that it wasn't already there when you got the coral? If its new then i would keep an eye on it and keep a look out for any more of them where the snail has been. Maybe someone more experienced than me will know what it could be and let you know. 👍

It's a fleshy nub reddish brown maybe 1/2 - 1/4 mm or less in diameter and maybe 1mm long.  It's literally right where the bumblebee snail was perched for a long time yesterday.  There's another one about 1/4 way from the prior one.  Snail is on a 3rd spot on the same coral.  I read the snail is carnivorous and supposedly reef safe.  

Frogspawn is 3-4 weeks in my tank .  I added 5 coral species I picked up from local reefer.  All have been doing fine with a few ups and downs as I learn the past few weeks.  I examine my tank daily.  It's definitely a new thing that wasn't there til yesterday when the snail decided to perch on the base of my coral.  

He's still on my frogspawn today and I'm considering detaching him manually and tossing the snail if he's harming my frogspawn.  

Could it be possible the snail could be eating through base and it's a polyp breaking through it's side???

When I got the frogspawn, the seller had recently fragged it and was growing it out in his display tank.  I got it on the cheap b/c of that.  I may just cut bait on the snail

Sounds like it may be poop.  See if you can blow it off with a turkey baster.  Poop doesn't stick.  I like my bumblebee snails because they can get into the small spaces inside of live rock.  Sometimes I don't see mine for a month at a time.  It has never bothered my coral but I don't know if that is true of all Bumblebees.  They also eat dead things so they are good that way too.  

I just removed the coral for examination.  

Not super familiar with frogspawn since it was my first one.  

But It looks like I may have had a roughly fragged.  The hardish base I can see through one side to see the sides of side of polyps when retracted.  I'm guessing that is NOT normal.

The things that I though were poop are pretty hard coral base feeling to them.  Definitely " NOT " poop. Maybe new heads will form at those locations?  - maybe not.  

I think the coral needs to be left alone for a while to heal up ( if that's possible ).  The Snail I'm guessing is doing it no good.  Gonna manually keep it off the coral and see how that works.  Probably would gnaw it to death if I left it in the tank.  

The Frogspawn's daily behavior is the coral retracts at night. 

When the lights come on - the head extend out ( though not as much as I would have expected.) 

Kindof looks like sideshow bob with that hairstyle when extended during the day.  

mitten_reef

Bumblebee doesn’t have a track record of harming coral to my knowledge. 
the hard stuff on the stem could be anything, there are varieties of calcified algae that most ppl don’t discuss (vs coralline). Also it could be a dead spirobid(spell?) worm or vermitiid snail shells.
All should be fine. Provide photo when you can so ppl can have more feedback

ECLS Reefer

I love bumblebee snails and I have a ton of them in all three tanks. They’re awesome little trash eaters in small places. Never once seen one harm a coral. I’d venture to say the coral is just covered in something tasty, but I’d be really surprised if it hurt the coral.

• 1 month later...

Bumblebee snails don't eat coral.  They eat small invertebrates like vermitid snails, small fan worms, and other species of small worms and critters.

• Like 1