inTank Media Baskets

Lighting a 60p?

Bill Nye

It's been a couple years since I've had a fish tank and the bug is biting me again.  I have a knock off 60p (23x12x14) tank sitting around that I used for a freshwater set up years ago.  I don't really want to purchase anything for this build and I'm undecided whether I should do another planted tank or just drill this thing (already have the overflow from a previous tank) and turn it into a reef.  The only light I have for it is a Radion xr15fw (Gen 4 I think?).  Would this be sufficient for a reef?  In the past I always used T5 on my reefs so I'm not familiar with LEDs and coral.  Thanks for any help you could provide.

An xr15fw isn't going to be good on a reef tank at all and your performance from it is going to be far less than even a $60 Chinese LED off Amazon. If you ran only the cool white and blue channels, you could probably eek out somewhere around 8,000k at low power, but that's far from ideal.

Why don't you just sell the xr15fw and buy an AI Prime 16HD or something similar which would be perfect for this tank? You would even be able to pocket some money since the XR15fw is worth almost twice as much as a Prime. If you really like the Radions, you could just trade it for an XR15 Pro or Blue and probably less than $100.

• Like 1