inTank Media Baskets

Picotope Advice

e17jo1

Hello All!

I have a like-new Picotope that's been sitting in storage for many years. It's been so long that I've had a tank that I definitely consider myself a beginner.

My main questions are:

• Can I get away with the stock lighting if I want to keep easy corals and a cleanup crew?
  • Can I get away with the stock filter (filled with some sort of media) or should I go the modded AC70 route?

picotope.jpg

You can get away with tge filter, just use it for floss and carbon but you'll need to add a powerhead for more flow.

As for the light, without any specs, it will be hard to determine that

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You can get away with tge filter, just use it for floss and carbon but you'll need to add a powerhead for more flow.

As for the light, without any specs, it will be hard to determine that

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, something for more flow and a simple heater is on the list. As for the light, the specs are:

• Power: 9W 
  • Kelvin: 50/50 CF Lamp (Half Blue/Half 10K)
10 minutes ago, e17jo1 said:

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, something for more flow and a simple heater is on the list. As for the light, the specs are:

• Power: 9W 
  • Kelvin: 50/50 CF Lamp (Half Blue/Half 10K)

If you can find compact fluorescents it should be ok for softies but its really old lighting from pre 2007 and may not be easy to replace bulbs in the right spectrum..

Welcome back. You can absolutely start with that light and filter. If you do upgrade the filter but do not want to go as large as an ac70 with the fuge mod I use an ac20 pretty good flow wise but it is a tight fit for putting the heater in there. The only one that fits is a little pre-set one. Agreed that when the bulbs need to be replaced it maybe tough to find them and most likely find it easier to upgrade then. Any way good luck with your tank. One of my all time favorite pico tanks. I still use mine for QT or as grow out tank when needed.

• Like 1