inTank Media Baskets

New to Forum...but long time Aquarist

Old Reefer

First off I would like to thank you guys for some invaluable info over the last four or five years. I started messing with marine aquariums back in the mid-70's. Back when you had to let a tank age for ninety days (amazing that "Instant Ocean" is still in existance!). Anyway. Over the years I've had a few set-ups, the largest was 55g and that was the last back in the mid 80's. A lot has changed since then. Back in 2013 I found "Triad Reef Critters" (TRC) over in Greensboro, NC, nice people-very knowledgable. So in 2015 I was ready to get back at it. I went to them with a 20g set-up and they said "wait...Fluval is getting ready to release a 13.5g that would be better suited for what you want to do". They were right. I set the tank up in August of '16 and have enjoyed it ever since. I keep the corals in the softy range. A Watchman Goby, Clown, and Six Line have thrived for four and a half years. Three snails (one 3/16" conch "hitchhiked" in on some live rock. He's now about 5/8"). A couple of hermits, and more miniature Brittle Starfish than I can imagine (also "hitchhikers).  The Six Line, about three months ago, decided to jump out (third time), and I missed his doing it. Then over this past week-end I culled out a couple of GSP colonies, and one VERY large Kenya Tree, and two large ones as well and took them over to TRC (this was the second culling. I took out another Very large Kenya, and a couple of Zoa colonies out about a year ago. All of the Kenyas' came from one little 2" plug that my son got me for Christmas about four years ago). After they looked everything over they gave me enough credit to get a nice Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse. Now you would think that one who does pay attention to things would have been smarter, but there are times when stupidity reigns over intelligence. I introduced the wrasse into the tank and he promptly ducked behind some rock. Good. In a day or so he'll begin to look around. I go into the kitchen to make dinner for my wife and I. Come back into the family room a short time later. Only to discover that the Clown has become a homicidal maniac. So I flipped out the lights. The wrasse goes back to his corner. The Clown to his, and it's "let's see what happens tomorrow". Long story short. Out comes the Clown. Down to TRC. Exchange the "bully" for a "baby". The Wrasse...seems to be no worse for the wear...a little timid, but he should be okay. Wrong...I found him this morning on the bottom. Poor guy. 

So that's the story on my Fluval up to this evening.

Now I have a question. As you can see in the photos. The landscaping is a bit stark (it looked much better before I culled out the overgrowth...gave up a lot of good rock). I know that "covid" has jerked a knot into things, and that a couple of nations have limited or eliminated the cultivation of "Live Rock" from reefs. With that being said. Have any of you used some of the Aragonite that is being marketed? Some of what I have seen is pretty large, and what is being offered by Caribsea is both large in size and price. So if some of you have used the Aragonite, and have experience with a reputable dealer...let me know.

Again...thanks for the help. Some of you have unwittingly guided me into the decision to go with the Fluval...and I haven't regretted it.

Old Reefer

AQUARIUM 4-2-21 1.jpg

AQUARIUM 4-20-21 2 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

For dey rock, i like caribsea liferock. 

I always soak it in a bucket of saltwater snd test for a week, never had any spikes of ammonia with it.

It breaks nicely too so you can make your own shapes.

welcome! i had a marine tank back in the 80s and was out of the hobby until december, when i also chose the fluvial 13.5 tank. yours looks great and i'm at the point where i'm deciding what i'll add and where (in terms of corals) to fill out my scape.

Hi Old Reefer   Welcome to NR. Last year I got some dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply and I was very happy with my order. They allow you to order by the pound so I only ordered 8 lb.'s. Many other companies have a min. order and it was always more than I wanted. When ordering you can describe what your looking for. I mentioned I would like my order to be 3 pieces and that is what I got. I would order from them again. Of course when I can get it I much prefer live rock but due to covid I wanted to avoid going to the store.

13 hours ago, growsomething said:

Very nice, natural looking softy tank.  Where's the algae!  

I use kp aquatics live rock, so I can't comment on dry rock.

Growsomething,

I battled algae for about a year or so into the tank being up. I attribute the lack of it now (there's a few shrubs on the back glass) to the following three things. Four if you count the snails.

* I do a 2 1/2g water change each week (not religiously mind you...I do miss a week now and then)

* I don't over feed. At around 7 - 7:15 each night the Goby swims up about a third of the way into the water column and stares out of the tank. That's my nightly reminder that "Hey...it's time to eat buddy!". I read once where a fishes memory is all of about 10 seconds. I don't belive that.

* Probably the biggest contributer(s) to the lack of algae are the miniature brittle stars. I kid you not...if I had to guess there are at least three dozen..or more...living in that tank. They range in diameter from a dime to a half dollar. In fact a short time ago I flashed a flashlight into the skimmer chamber to see all of the little shrimp that live in there dart around, and there were a half dozen stars scrambling down the side of the skimmer to get out of the light. All of them were the size of a quarter. They get into everything, but they do scavenge up any food that the Hermits might miss. So I belive that they are the ones that keep everything cleaned up. Thus keeping the nitrates down from the uneaten food.

If you can get a hold of a few of these little critters...do it. Check with your LFS to see if they have a few crawling around in there tanks and see if they'll part with them. They multiply pretty quickly. You never see them. They come out at night when everything is pitch black and do their thing.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, rough eye said:

welcome! i had a marine tank back in the 80s and was out of the hobby until december, when i also chose the fluvial 13.5 tank. yours looks great and i'm at the point where i'm deciding what i'll add and where (in terms of corals) to fill out my scape.

Rough Eye, I think that you will be pleased with the system as it is. I've seen where many that contribute here have made various changes...all for the betterment. I chose to keep it as it was, and have had great success with, leathers, paly's, zoas, pom pom zinnias', and I have one colony that I'm not sure if it is from the SPS family or not. Has a bit of a different growth pattern from the typical zoa or carpet. Whatever it is...it's thriving. Over the last four and a half years I've maintained three fish in the tank (choose wisely) at the same time, and after the debacle with the clown doing in the Wrasse and the other Wrasse jumping out...they've all done well.

I've given some consideration of making a change or two, but to be honest...for what I want...this system works just fine as is.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Old Reefer   Welcome to NR. Last year I got some dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply and I was very happy with my order. They allow you to order by the pound so I only ordered 8 lb.'s. Many other companies have a min. order and it was always more than I wanted. When ordering you can describe what your looking for. I mentioned I would like my order to be 3 pieces and that is what I got. I would order from them again. Of course when I can get it I much prefer live rock but due to covid I wanted to avoid going to the store.

Thanks for the "lead" debbeach. I'll check them out.

• Like 1