Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bivalve ID.

NepTuNe-UsD

Does anyone know of any bivalve species that are extremely mobile? And when I say mobile I dont mean "fluttering" through the water, I mean like a sort of upside down "walk". Right now as I was looking into my tank I noticed a peculiar white object climbing up a pretty steep incline of live rock. So I grabbed a flashlight to check it out and to my surprise it was a super tiny white clam or mussel or oyster of some sort dragging itself up the rock face with its base pointed upward. It doesnt seem to have a mantle of any sort, but then again it just might be to small to see. I am positive it is a bivalve however. Any Suggestions? ???

Alright well I found a site that says that a lot of clams are good crawlers, and are constantly moving about. I guess I was thinking only in terms of the tridacna species that dont use this type of locomotion. Has anyone ever had this type of crawling clam in their tanks?:)

Yep... I have a small (about .5") off-white bi-valve in my tank that uses his foot to pull himself up the rock. Scared me when I first saw it, as it was in hiding for the first month that I had the tank and then it just popped up. I got a closer look and calmed down when I realized what it was.

I feed DTs to my flame scallop (=clam), so I figure he should get some nutrition from that. I'm about to get rid of the flame, however, as he's just too big and destructive. I've had him for over a month and he's very healthy, but he just moves around too much and is breaking pieces off the LR and landing on top of stuff all the time :P Plus, his pseudo-feces is kind of annoying. He DOES, however, stir up detritus in the tank -which is subsequently removed by my sponge prefilter on the PH. That's nice, but I don't think it counteracts the toll he's taken on the rock. Oh well! Anyone in D/FW have a larger tank and want a Flame Scallop? I'll trade you two cups of sand for him! :-)

Archived