inTank Media Baskets

5 day old 10 gallon

mrnewbie

heres a couple of pics of my 5 day old 10 gallon tank,

approx 16lb of live rock

2 powerheads

15w 10000k coralife light (better lighting suggestion are welcome)

full.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

close.jpg

yeah i like your aquascaping alot also,

for lighting, on my 10 gallon i purchased the 2x40W current usa satellite, it came with docking mounts and a moon light for 103 dollars, also fans

103 with ship included, the PQ was 105 i think and i had to buy the holding mounts, and i would have had to pay 10 bucks for DIY moonlight, IMO it would have been neat to make a DIY moonlight but i am on a budget

DONT GO PC!!

dont waste your money on some usa or coralife pc fixtures because, if you go metal halide you will be able to have any coral u like.

if you take pc, yes its cheaper, but yes its not as bright, colorfull,strong as metal halide.

even if you take pc trust me after 6-10 months youll say to your self , i want mh....

and trust me its worth the extra $$$

your corals will expand more be more colorfull!

my .02 $

for a 10 gallon tank i think i'd recommend a powerquad 96 watt coralife fixture.

normally, i'm a HUGE advocat for metal halides, but i can't justify asking someone to spend $200+ USD on a tank that small. yes, it will give you great coloration and growth, but it will also cause heating issues, and the tank will fill in very very fast, and you would need to upgrade. with pc's, you could keep any soft coral you could ever imagine, and probably a montipora digitata if you like SPS(go with green).

P.S. your aquascape is right on the money, i wouldn't change a thing if it were my tank :)

Cesar: the powerquad lights ARE on DrsFoster's site, here's a link(located near the bottom called quadtube aqualight for $109.99 USD):Coralife aqualights

And my 2 cents on lighting for a 10, well I've got to say that there is nothing like a MH, but nothing beats PCs for budget lighting either. I think that VHOs are a very good light the price that is more expensive than PC, but not quite as much as MH and the heat issue is more easily managed IMO. Plus all the local tanks I've seen with VHO seem to really glow(especially green) like the corals were emitting bright radiation from the tissue. They are going to be my choice for my new 10G. :)

Archived