Coral Vue Hydros

Testing Monster Nano Cube 3*24 W Hybrid

ccjung

Hi all.. let me introduce myself to the group. I am Chris, I live in the LA area and have just recently discovered the world of nano cubes.

Ive done some interesting things to my nano. I think the most interesting being the 3 x 24 Upgrade, using parts from my original Nano.

Im on week two of my deluxe and its been awesome. I have had some horrible heat problems( about 6 or 7 degrees above ambient)so I moved and replaced some fans. Supplementing the rear fans with some Cooler Master 60mm CPU fans. The Amps on these fans are .23 A, so almost double the current of the stock fans. I used a radio shack .5A 12V AC adapter for this with some nifty quick disconnects.

I moved the stock fans so that they would move air from the space above the heat sink. In addition, i cut one port on the rear side so that one fan got to exhaust hot air from the aquarium as well. This has proven to work wonderfully.

So wonderfully that I took apart and modded my original nano ballast to fit into the new deluxe.

The result is awesome. 72 watts of great great light in a very very good design. I am currently testing to see if any (im sure) fan improvements must be made.

I'm tired, so ill post only a few preliminary photos.

Sorry... THe photos can be viewed in my member gallery... Thx.. Monitoring temps. Right now maintaining 75.7 F. The hood is getting much hotter, so i think some further R/D is in order.

WHY THE F@CK DO YOU HAVE A TANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tang in a nano is like stuffing a german sheppard in a suit case. While jackass went a little nuts with the !!!'s he's right. The fish will be dead shortly in a nano....

i'm going to try to be corgil about this, yes a yellow tang is one of the smallest, but they get up to atleast 6" and need a large ammount of simming space. I have one in a 30gal but he is only 4 inches long and will eventualy be in a 55 if he seems to get stressed. your tang will get stressed and most likely isn't getting a balanced diet and that will add to his stress. so in the most corgal way possible please remove the tang, i don't know if the LFS said it was ok but either way it's not HE WILL DIE

i'm gonna stay out of this one.

but putting a tang in a tank with a volume of about 9 gallons is cruel. if you multiplied that by 10 then it would be suitable. k i'm done.

With respect to the tang, I appreciate the advice from you and will move the tang when I get a bigger tank late this year. With respect to the comments of jackass, I understand that there are those out there who have more power, thats an easy concept to understand. The fact that the lighting was increased to 72 without a single external mod is something else.

Ive seen some hillbillies rig a nano with a 175 MH over it, but it was in a closet and looked like ish.

I have seen the errs in my ways on the tang. It will be moved.

bravo. everybody makes mistakes. we made the mistake, and try to pass the knowledge on to you before you make the same mistake we did.

and you're 3 x 24 watt setup does look very clean, i like it. has the temp fluctuated any since you set it up?

Temp is up about 1 degree compared to my previous upgrade. The original Nanocube DX was running about 6 degrees above ambient until i swapped out the fans and powersupply.

Before the third bulb, I got the temp down to 0.8 to 1.3 above ambient. Now its about 2.8 to 3.5 above ambient.

We'll have to see when summer comes, but its still better than stock.

Does/did anyone else have the heat problems that the original DX? I spoke with JBJ and the rep told me the fans were selected for their quietness.

I say whats the point of growing coral/fish if the waters gonna be boiling.

i just want to know your peice list if ya don't mind i just want to know if i made a good decision breaking mine down and getting a diff tank money wise, im glad i did but i just want to know about the money side

Here is the "parts list"

1 JBJ Nanocube deluxe (2x24W 50/50) - 155.00 LFS

1 Powersweep 214 Powerhead (auto rotating/wavemaker) - 18.95 Online

1 Original JBJ ballast/light/socket - ??? est 39.00

2 Cooler Master 60mm .18 A fans = 7.99 each

1 Radio Shack 12v 0.5 A ac Adapter = 15.99

1 Coralife Moonlight - 29.99 LFS

Total about 265.00

how many times have we seen this same ridiculous type of post, between here and reefcentral there has to be thousands, and always same #### ....."Umm hey guys newbie here, can i keep a Tang in a 6 oz paper cup, oh by the way well I bought it yesterday and he's doin fine, etc... etc..." Its so stupid the responses we give, and get for thie type of post, ccjung you should be banned for being so ridiculous to put a tang in a nano, but I think you know it and dont care, so why come here asking advice? On the other hand how many of us have put something in our tank on whimsical purchase, only to realise what a putz we really are. I go back to my RBTA days in my nano, obviously not a great purchase, and it didnt last for more then 4 month, chalk it up to ignorance, but atleast I had the self preservation to not want to post my most ignorant moments online, well until now...lol Anyways, dont waste the message boards resource with this ####, do a search and see that Tangs don't belong in Nanos, if your gonna play god with a little reef, at least have the werewithall to do some research on your flora/fauna. take care, and bring Tang back to LFS

Easy there. You may have not read my previous replys about the tang. The fact that you took time out of your day to further flame me is indicative to me that you are a very angry person, and must take out your frustration online.

Do i have the right to play god? I dont think so. But some could argue that the very act of taking a specimen from the ocean and placing it into our homes under simulated conditions is playing god.

I think you failed to notice that I replied that the tang would be going into next purchase, a larger tank that I have chosen.

With respect to wasting resources, you can see that the scope of my posts have been to help, and not ask for help from the nano-reef.com community. I was merely posting some information about upgrading the cube DX to a 3 bulb 72 watt system. I was not soliciting your help nor opinion on this issue of keeping a tang in my tank.

With respect to the caustic remarks, I accept them. As any man would, I take responsibility for my actions, I am not however, going to be lambasted by someone hiding behind the shield of the anonymity of the internet.

Especially with things like "....."Umm hey guys newbie here, can i keep a Tang in a 6 oz paper cup, oh by the way well I bought it yesterday and he's doin fine, etc... etc..."

Please cite a single incidence where I have asked anything about the tang. A viewer saw the tang and proceeded to attack me. The subjects of all of my posts were germane to the subject of upgrading the lights in the nano cube, not asking questions about the tang.

In short Life is too short to nitpick. As i have stated earlier, I have found the err of my ways and the tang will be moved.

DitchPlains, I'm going to be cordial and welcome any further remarks you may have, but please, do not use this forum as a place to vent your frustrations or demonstrate your writing ability. Most of us are adults here and the display of caustic language is no more impressive than the guy who told me:

WHY THE F@CK DO YOU HAVE A TANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do understand DitchPlains that later in your response, you cite instances where you made mistakes, which makes me believe that you are empathetic with my mistake. I appreciate the fact that you were able to argue from both sides of the "bonehead" mistakes, but still dont see why you continued to beat a dead horse.

Chris

Archived