ReefCleaners.org

Thinking in starting this hobby (West Palm Beach)

Error404

I currently live in a condo (3rd story walk-up / no elevator) and hopefully within two years, I'll be buying a home in the same area.

My idea is to get a nano reef that would get me starter in the hobby, but when it's time to move, it would be possible to take it to the new home (and hopefully, at some point try to get a larger setup).

Currently, I'm on the very first step which is gathering data. I have not read all the sticky threads yet, so I imagine when I do, many of my questions will be answered. In the mean time, if anyone wants to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it!

My first question is in regards buying new or used.

I have been checking Craigslist and they have some setups, but I don't know enough to know if they are a good deal. I'm also worried if they come with fish / coral, that I would kill them while moving or learning the hobby.

This one caught my attention:

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for/d/west-palm-beach-nanocube-aquarium-reef/7287874921.html

If I go new, then maybe a Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 PRO or JBJ 28G nanocube.

I'm looking two have a couple of clown fish, some easy beginner corals, and some hermit crabs/snails as clean up crew.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I would personally start fresh.

Buying an already set up tank can come with issues.

Moving it properly can be a chore, especially without an elevator. Everything will need to be removed and placed in buckets, sand will need to be replaced.

Other issues, you take on whatever problems that tank may have.

Definitely invest in an rodi but do homework on how to choose a unit and the filters you will need. Not everyone's water is equal so neither will treatment be.

Thanks for the feedback. I already have on my kitchen sink a reverse osmosis system, but it's a 6 stage (the last stage adds minerals to the water so it tastes better). 

Will this be okay or do I need a 5 stage?

Edit: water source is city water (not from a well).

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. I knew I wanted to get into saltwater and I wanted to start small with a nano. I spend a long time pouring over the journals here and on reef2reef. My advice would be to do the same. Find a long detailed active journal entry with a tank that has the look that you like and learn from them. 

I will go against the grain here and would advise getting a new aquarium. Nano tanks are relatively inexpensive even new. I think used aquariums are best left to those that are more experienced and like to DIY. Think of it like getting a used car, it may run fine or it may turn out to be a lemon. A lemon in aquarium terms means one day you will wake up and your floors are flooded.

New or used I would agree you should start fresh from scratch. You learn a ton when you go through the ugly early stages. When and how to correct and deal with certain parameter issues and when to leave it alone and let it do its thing. Remember to leave room in your budget to get proper water test kits.

If you already have RODI and can place your tank close to your water source so you don't have to lug buckets you got a good start. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Error404 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I already have on my kitchen sink a reverse osmosis system, but it's a 6 stage (the last stage adds minerals to the water so it tastes better). 

Will this be okay or do I need a 5 stage?

Edit: water source is city water (not from a well).

You don't want to add minerals back into the water

That will effect the parameters of the tank.

Can you disconnect that stage for making tank water?

17 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You don't want to add minerals back into the water

That will effect the parameters of the tank.

Can you disconnect that stage for making tank water?

Thanks, I was worried that could create an issue.

I think I can add a T right before the last filter.

This is the unit that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LJ8EXU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_K6M3F48RYNZSSAFDZ6M8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

You will need to test tds levels as its an RO system, i don't see a di stage

Got it, I'm guessing the DI stands for distill?

3 minutes ago, Error404 said:

Got it, I'm guessing the DI stands for distill?

Deionized.  Its the last stage of filtration which makes RO water into RO/DI

One tip. And this may or may not be of help to you. My first tank was 18" deep and I put it on a 36" tall stand. So 54" to top of the tank. For me to reach to the bottom of the tank comfortably, I had to use a step. Eventually I got so lazy that I would never scrape the bottom 2-3" of the tank because it was hard to reach.

My new tank is 13" deep, on a 28" tall stand. Super easy to reach the bottom to scrape/clean. 

Just a thought. 

2 minutes ago, paulsz said:

One tip. And this may or may not be of help to you. My first tank was 18" deep and I put it on a 36" tall stand. So 54" to top of the tank. For me to reach to the bottom of the tank comfortably, I had to use a step. Eventually I got so lazy that I would never scrape the bottom 2-3" of the tank because it was hard to reach.

My new tank is 13" deep, on a 28" tall stand. Super easy to reach the bottom to scrape/clean. 

Just a thought. 

Thanks,

I'm not sure where the tank is going (home office or living room).

The home office is always locked... however the living room has a 3 year old toddler roaming around.