SaltCritters.com

toadstool toxic to lps corals

reefer2290

I was wondering if toadstool leathers corals are toxic to hard corals. I remember hearing from somewhere that they can harm other hard corals in the same tank. If they are harmful than would using carbon make it less toxic?

Thanks

i have a large toadstool next to a frag of hydnopora and both are donig jsut fine. Not only that, but the toadstool was actually GROWING on a piece of pocillipora when i bought it. both are still alive :P

some toadies are very toxic while others are pretty much neutral, as long as there's no contact ime. once there's contact or if you have an especially noxious/exuding toadie then you'll probably start having some issues.

carbon and other chemical ab/adsorbers are your best way to placate these competitors. they're all competing for space and location.

contact competition is usually won by the stonys. indirect competition (chemical exudates) are usually won by the softies ime. the chemical exudates are the more difficult issue imo as they can affect everything in the system versus only contact injuries from the stonys. e.g. chemical weapons vs. gunshots

one way to 'see' toxicity is to disturb the todie and look closely if it emits any 'cloud/smoke'. basically, that's their 'skunking'. that's an extreme case and i've only seen it in a couple of toadie species.

another indirect observation is how things grow downwind/stream form the toadie. if things are growing away or shrinking downwind of it, then there's a good chance it's pretty noxious.

slime/mucus production is another physical way of seeing how noxious a toadie (any coral) is. the mucus isn't necessarily toxic or detrimental but it's safer to assume such ime. e.g. trochs, glaucum, and elegans are pretty 'dry' to the touch, leathery. i don't see too much warfare with them compared to the slimers.

then there's slimers. i've seen s. lobulatis slime and also be dry. could be two similar-looking species or conditions varied. (i've sen glaucs also slimey, for that matter). 'green' toadies seem to be more slimey ime.

i've yet to positively id but touch will usually differentiate the corals enough. hth

Archived