SaltCritters.com

Coral Acclimation

Crusher895

Hi guys, I have a 32 gal biocube and just bought 3 sps corals (2 birdsnests 1 chalice). These 3 will be my first sps corals in aquarium, I already have zoas and a torch. What I usually do when acclimating new inhabitants to my tank is to drip acclimate them for 30 minutes to an hour. I watched this one person and he said that when acclimating your corals you should not only acclimate them to your water parameters but you should acclimate them to your lighting as well. So my question is wouldn't the light acclimation mode hurt your already established corals?

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

When it means to acclimate your corals to light basically it means putting them on the substrate because it is theoretically less bright compared to their final destination in your tank. You may go the extra mile and find a shaded overhang or a "darker" corner of a tank and just move them at a pace you are most comfortable with. However you could do dark to light. Corals can withstand at least a single day of darkness. These corals if they're wild caught are transported overnight in a box...with no light...on an airplane. Even then, corals from an LFS didn't magically spawn at the store. I'm certain they had to go through UPS Next Day Air in a box and get thrown around by the negligent workers in the warehouse. I speak from experience working as one.

Chalice is technically considered LPS.

What I would do is at least dip new corals with a solution like CoralRx, Revive, or Seachem Reef Dip.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

When it means to acclimate your corals to light basically it means putting them on the substrate because it is theoretically less bright compared to their final destination in your tank. You may go the extra mile and find a shaded overhang or a "darker" corner of a tank and just move them at a pace you are most comfortable with. However you could do dark to light. Corals can withstand at least a single day of darkness. These corals if they're wild caught are transported overnight in a box...with no light...on an airplane. Even then, corals from an LFS didn't magically spawn at the store. I'm certain they had to go through UPS Next Day Air in a box and get thrown around by the negligent workers in the warehouse. I speak from experience working as one.

Chalice is technically considered LPS.

What I would do is at least dip new corals with a solution like CoralRx, Revive, or Seachem Reef Dip.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whoops I feel kinda dumb now saying that...

Most don't drip acclimate corals.

Most float the bag for temp acclimation, dip the corals, rinse in a container of tank water and add to tank.

By light acclimation, they mean put them on the bottom of tank and slowly move them higher up to their final spot

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Most don't drip acclimate corals.

Most float the bag for temp acclimation, dip the corals, rinse in a container of tank water and add to tank.

By light acclimation, they mean put them on the bottom of tank and slowly move them higher up to their final spot

I didn't rinse my corals after dipping the is that bad?

1 hour ago, Crusher895 said:

I didn't rinse my corals after dipping the is that bad?

You generally want to to prevent dip getting into the tank.

What dip did you use?

Thrassian Atoll

I float, dip, rinse and throw them in my tank on a frag rack for a week and then place them where I want them.  Light acclimating sps is pointless imo. 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
23 hours ago, Crusher895 said:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whoops I feel kinda dumb now saying that...

nah you good. we all learn, starting from somewhere right?