Top Shelf Aquatics

ID needed

dwdenny

Just acquired some corals for the tank and need an ID on one for sure but will post all three for viewing pleasure lol. I know I need to work on my camera skills waiting on filters for my Canon these were taken with my phone sorry in advance. If I am wrong on my ID's please correct me.

Purple Polyp Birdnest

Birdsnest1.jpeg.d9a9ac7fae4b4bf02fb6b8468d23e879.jpeg

Favia is what I think but not sure could be Favite this is the one I am unsure of

Favia.jpeg.08959d839daa62bd8aa45487a9b73ea1.jpeg

Purple Cyphastrea 

Cyphastrea.jpeg.8d6acae773d410b1743170c7650e96a4.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dwdenny said:

Favia is what I think but not sure could be Favite this is the one I am unsure of

They are often misidentified, and some people almost seem to use the terms interchangeably.  However, the walls of the corallites in favites are shared versus separate for favia.  To be fair, it's not always easy to tell the difference.  Often it's even less clear when you look at new growth, versus the center of the colony.

You notice that I didn't make a call. :lol:  IDK, maybe it will become more apparent as it grows out.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, seabass said:

They are often misidentified, and some people almost seem to use the terms interchangeably.  However, the walls of the corallites in favites are shared versus separate for favia.  To be fair, it's not always easy to tell the difference.  Often it's even less clear when you look at new growth, versus the center of the colony.

You notice that I didn't make a call. :lol:  IDK, maybe it will become more apparent as it grows out.

Will give it some time and see what it grows into. Either way I have it on the bottom with what I would consider medium flow. This morning it had feeder tentacles out. Got a photo of that maybe it will help but again not the best.

.1517856093_FaviaFavite.jpeg.49c5a949fc9073077f102ada544d7859.jpeg 

5 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Birdsnest is better known as Ponape 

Thanks for the information that is awesome. 

• Like 1