Pod Your Reef

My mushroom is weird

Zer0

My mushroom has decided it no longer wants to live in the light, and I’m not sure what to think about it.

Do I just let it retreat into the darkness, or should I intervene? There’s nothing back there but false promises and wasteland.

509FD2EA-8116-436E-9107-67064DB26974.jpeg

Oh believe me I know it was not happy, but I've placed it in several different locations in the tank and it hated all of them. Literally every other coral is doing fine, but this mushroom just hated anywhere I put it. It's completely gone now, it moved in there. Not sure if I'm going to leave it in there and see what happens or take it out.

Do  mushrooms move around on their own like Anemones?  

I was considering a mushroom for future placement, I thought they stayed where you placed them?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Do  mushrooms move around on their own like Anemones?  

I was considering a mushroom for future placement, I thought they stayed where you placed them?

Thanks

Yes, they can move and will when not happy with their location

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Yes, they can move and will when not happy with their location

all mushrooms, like Yumas, Rhodactus, Ricordias?  or just some mushrooms?

22 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

all mushrooms, like Yumas, Rhodactus, Ricordias?  or just some mushrooms?

All mushrooms, they are very similar to anemones and formally called mushroom anemones.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Murphych said:

Mine usually end up around the back of the rock so to see them you need to snap your neck.. lovely 

I had a few really nice rics that decided they liked the darker harder to see them areas...always great when you spend $$$ on something hidden

• Like 1

I’ll probably pull the media rack out tomorrow and look for it. I wanted to throw in some activated carbon and swap out all the filter floss, so I might as well see wtf it’s doing in there.

• Like 1

I never had a mushroom move on me but my rock flower anemones will sometimes move or won't immediate attach where I want them. 

My solution is to place some shells or rock rubble in a shot glass, put the nem or mushroom in the glass and place the glass in a low flow area for a week. It should attach to the rubble and then you can move it where you want. 

20210115_111413.thumb.jpg.fabbc068fbc3ffc5e58bc67f30c42ece.jpg

1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

I never had a mushroom move on me but my rock flower anemones will sometimes move or won't immediate attach where I want them. 

My solution is to place some shells or rock rubble in a shot glass, put the nem or mushroom in the glass and place the glass in a low flow area for a week. It should attach to the rubble and then you can move it where you want. 

20210115_111413.thumb.jpg.fabbc068fbc3ffc5e58bc67f30c42ece.jpg

That does work but if they aren't happy where you put them, they will let go and move

• Like 1