Top Shelf Aquatics

WaterBox sump problem

Jens_Reef

Hello,

I have my WB marine x 35.1 running for about a month now. (first tank whit a sump)

But I am having a problem that I need to adjust the valve from the overflow to the sump every 3/4 days.

Is this normal? The return pump is a dc one but always on the same flow.

The emergency overflow handles this but I like to avoid it because the tank is in my bedroom and don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to splashing water.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Best regards,

Jens

1 hour ago, Zer0 said:

Have you tried contacting WaterBox about this issue? I would imagine they know their aquariums better than anyone else.

Not yet because I wanted u guys opinion first.

More people whit different experiences.

I see. Well my advice would be to contact the manufacturers first, as they are the ones that built the tank and probably already know of the issue you’re experiencing. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nano_Addict said:

Sounds like there could be a clog of some sort in the main drain line.  Is the strainer of the main drain clean?

Everything seems clear. 

The water first need to pass the filter sock before it can go down the main drain.

Nano_Addict
1 hour ago, Jens_Reef said:

Everything seems clear. 

The water first need to pass the filter sock before it can go down the main drain.

This setup is different than what I have on my Waterbox so I'm not super clear on how it's working.  Just off the top of my head though, if the filter sock is getting dirty and slowing your water flow it could be the reason you need to adjust things.  Can you post a couple pictures of the setup?

• Like 1

Do you have filter socks running? They change the water level in the overflow chamber enough to change the water height in your overflow box as they start to clog. The only options are to change your filter socks more frequently so they don't start clogging up or just don't use socks if you want to keep the water level in the overflow box constant.

If you don't mind a little fluctuation in salinity, you can adjust the overflow so that the water level in the overflow box is about 1/2 - 1" below the emergency drain. Then, as the socks clog, it'll just slowly increase the level in the overflow box without ever hitting the emergency drain, but you won't get noise.

As is, the noise is a reminder to change your filter socks!

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

I have a similar thing in where the water in my weir rises and drops through the day. It is a bit of a pain as the emergency will start tricking for a few hours then you will hear water falling into a half full weir.

I too have a DC TMC reef pump. 

Not being able to figure it out and trying endlessly to open the valve, close it, speed the pump up then down. 2 pint glasses mate! One upside down and the other sitting on top of it in the sump directly under the emergency drain. The water fills the glass and runs down the sides nice N quietly. 

Eery couple of days I empty it as rubbish builds up in the bottom of the glass. .. not a fix more a workaround till you can actually figure out why it happens 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the tips.

For now it stays at the same level but still not as high in the rear chamber as i want.

I think when it does not going to work as i want it to. I will go back tot a AIO tank.

Less space for equipment but works alot more friendly and even a bit more quiet.