inTank Media Baskets

marroon clowns

Buzz

I need someone to post who has experience with this specific species of clown.

If I were to buy 2 young marroon clowns, and put them together will they become a pair?

Someone told me that its not a sure thing with marrons because they are more aggresive. They suggested that if I want a pair. I would be best buying a mated pair.

What are you thoughts and experienes with marron clown pairing.

i have read that it is pretty hit and miss. if you don't mind losing a fish, give it a try... it may or may not work. do a search on reef central clown forum, and i'm sure you'll find lots of helpful info.

I have two juvenile maroon clowns, still not sure if they'll actually pair up when they mature. But they haven't killed each other. I've had them about 2 - 2.5 months. One is obviously larger than the other, and I can tell some mornings that they've gotten a little scrappy. But they always heal on their own. They actually sleep together at night, and generally do their own thing durin gthe day. Either way, they both attack my hand when its in the tank. HTH.

Dr. Saltwater

The Maroon Clown (Premnas biaculeatus) is indeed very agressive, but what clown isn't when it has found it's spot in the tank?

A maited pair will lay eggs, but if you buy a larger and smaller Marroon it will often work the same as other Clowns only you should keep in mind that they're a little more aggressive so you must have enough space in the tank.

It'll just take more time than with other clowns, so also more patience with the owner :)

NanoReefTexas

I recently aquired a maroon clown 2 weeks ago, and bought another larger one today, along with a GBTA. So far the big one has been diving through the new anenome and hanging out in it. Every so often, it goes up to my little one and seems slightly domineering. For the most part though, it hangs in the anenome, or cruises down to the caves in my LR, and "pouts" because the anenome has gone into a crevice in the LR where it can't get to it. Big maroon seems kind of timid, but it's only been in the tank for a couple of hours. I am hoping they'll pair up. If and when that happens, they, along with their anemone will be getting a new home, which I am shopping for now. A dedicated species tank. Is a 29 gallon big enough to house the little threesome if no other fish or anenomes go in there? I know the 1" of fish to 5 gallon rule, but maroons supposedly get up to 6", and having just 2 fish in a 60 gallon seems a bit excessive. What about a smaller tank with a sump and over kill filtration? Maybe a 29 gallon with 29 gallon sump and a penguin filter meant for a 50 - 100 gallon tank? Opinions appreciated, flames not appreciated.

Hey Buzz, your best bet would be to buy a known mated pair.

The next best thing would be according to Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson, "If the pair contains two Maroons of unequal status, that is, if a tiny Maroon Clownfish is paired with a large one, the small fish will usually yeild in short order and they will quickly establish a pecking order without life-threatening dominance contests. The smaller clown needs to be so terrorized by the larger one's size that it rapidly accepts its inferior position in the hierarchy. The greater the difference in the sizes, the better. A Maroon Clownfish longer than 2 1/2 inches is usaully large enough to intimidate one smaller than 1 1/4 inches." She then goes on to say that the larger clown should be the one that is introduced first and then the smaller one. But provide some sort of hiding place for the smaller clown in case the larger one is being too aggressive. Two juveniles will fight to the death if they are trying to be paired.

I highly recommend buying Joyce's book, it is indispensable to anyone that really cares about their clownfish and/or is trying to breed them.

BTW, my Gold Stripe Maroon pair are in a 55gal all by themselves. The female is ~5" and the male is ~2.5" long. I aquired mine by picking a big female and a small male. I have had them for almost a year now and they still haven't spawned..... Still waiting.

Alright so basically is what would happen. IF you put in two maroon clowns are not a maited pair when you bought them, they will either pair up or one will kill the other. This would happen in all tanks except gigantic systems becuase all clown fish are very territorial and will not accept another clown fish in their territory which can extend through the whole tank. I would recommend buying a maited pair and not risk the loss of money but also the life of a beautiful clownfish. Goodluck

You guys should go to reefcentral clown forum sections for some detailed reading of the clown fish FAQ.

A lot of information in this thread isn't complete, which can screw you up if you are not fully informed. For example, not any two small maroon will pair up. you can't tell age of the maroon by size unless you know they are tank bread.

Sex transition is one way street. So making sure the marron you got is unsexed....

If two small (less than 1") unsexed maroon raised together, you almost certain you can get a pair.

cheers,

-jaz

To add to that my two maroons were together for 2.5 - 3 months, and then recently, the larger of the two tried to kill the smaller one...needless to say, I had to separate them. So even if you do get two in the hopes that they pair up and it works for a while, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will last.

msn711, Unless the bigger one is really tearing up the small one, ie. severe damanges to fins and tails... you might want to consider not to intervene, sometime the SHE has to re-assert her dominance over HIM. Some aggression may be displayed but will subside in a few weeks. During the mean time, HE might be kicked out the "house" and starve a little bit...

but he will be okay... just keep a close eye on it.

Thanks usjaz...but the aggression was getting pretty bad...the severe damage to fins and tails that you mentioned. I feel a lot better now that they're separated...in fact, I'm trying to get rid of the larger one.

Archived