Pod Your Reef

Caribsea life rock

dottybackss

dottybackss

I just setup a 30 gallon long tank with 30 lbs of the Caribsea life rocks, 20 lbs live sand along with a Jebao sdw 9 and a AC 70 with a diy fuge. If the flow is good enough do I still need some bio media for the biological filtration? Before I always use 1 lb per gallon of real live rocks but this is my first time to use man-made live rock so I am not sure about their biological function.

SaltyGallon

It's good rock, used it successfully for a few tanks. Have you added a source of good bacteria, either bottled or from existing media?

• Thanks 1

It does have bacteria in it but the tank still needs to cycle therefore an ammonia source needs to be added and adding something like biospira would be beneficial too.

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
40 minutes ago, dottybackss said:

I brought the Friz Turbo Start this time but I haven't dose it yet since I don't have any livestock right now.

Look up Dr Tims bottled ammonia. Few drops of ammonia as needed + turbo start and you'll have a nice livestock ready tank in a couple weeks.

SaltyGallon
7 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

I Watched a Reef builders video on YouTube and he mentioned that Caribsea life rock has some sort of bacteria coating on it already. not sure how effective it is though.

I personally think it's marketing bs, but it sure supports good bacteria well enough once cycled...

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn’t rely on the bacterial spores in the coating of the Liferock, but Fritz Turbostart is good. I like to have really strong biological filtration in my tanks so I don’t have to worry about a spike in ammonia if a big snail or fish dies, so I use a sack of matrix media in the back of each of my tanks for extra surface area for the beneficial bacteria in addition to the Caribsea Liferock. 

The bacteria in the liferock make it safe to add to an existing tank, its the only dry rock i have used that didn't cause spikes in a tank but definitely its not enough to add and go without cycling a tank

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I guess there's spores in the purple paint but I still ran a cycle with my setup. I poured the big bottle of Bio-Spira and left a piece of silverside to rot. Not the most elegant way to do it, but it worked.

dottybackss

So when the rock get mature then it will function just like a real live rock right? Also the water is very cloudy after I added the life rock to the tank. Is just like a ammonia spike. 

34 minutes ago, dottybackss said:

So when the rock get mature then it will function just like a real live rock right? Also the water is very cloudy after I added the life rock to the tank. Is just like a ammonia spike. 

Yes, it becomes live rock just like other dry rock does as it’s populated by beneficial bacteria. My tanks don’t cloud up just by adding the rock... did you stir up the sand? 

An ammonia spike doesn't cause clouding.

If you didn't wash your sand and plCe rock on it or disturbed it, thats most likely the cause of the cloudiness

dottybackss

No I didn't wash the sand because I read the instruction of the Caribsea live sand and it said required no rinsing. I brought the Special grade reef ones.

15 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yes, it becomes live rock just like other dry rock does as it’s populated by beneficial bacteria. My tanks don’t cloud up just by adding the rock... did you stir up the sand? 

I did stir up a very little of them

• Like 1

Not rinsing sand was my first saltwater tank mistake.  I ended up pulling all the water out of tank with siphon and the sand.  Rinsed the sand and put it back in the tank.  Haven't had any cloud issues since.  I know the Carib-sea live sand says not to rinse, but it's basically sand with an additive to the salt water and packaged in a strong bag..  So I opted bio-spira + dead sand for the same effect without all the cloudy mess in my water. 

Only a 10 gallon so no big deal.  It's one of the reasons I wanted to start with small tank.  Small mistakes are easier to correct when I start out knowing basically NOTHING.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, dottybackss said:

No I didn't wash the sand because I read the instruction of the Caribsea live sand and it said required no rinsing. I brought the Special grade reef ones.

I did stir up a very little of them

They all say no need to wash but most recommend it because the amount of dust in the sand, it can cause a tank to go milky white

Every sand i have ever purchased live, dry, crushed coral - the amount of dust that comes off it from washing is shocking.

Stir your sand and you'll see how cloudy the tank gets. You want to get that imto the filter amd floss will need changing more often as it will get full fast