Pod Your Reef

IM Owners: Sexy shrimp in overflows?

BurlyWizard

BurlyWizard

Quick survey to Innovative Marine AIO owners (as I assume they all have similar overflow slotted openings)...

Is it common to see critters making through the overflow? I introduced 2 sexy shrimp to my 25 lagoon yesterday and first thing this morning, one of them was sitting on top of my inTank media basket on top of the filter floss. Which is honestly a miracle because the tank has a lid, but it doesn't extend over the chambers, so the little guy could have easily jumped. 

I'm sure there are ways to add mesh or other blocking mechanisms to narrow the openings even more, but I was just curious if this is likely a one-off "first night in the tank" shrimp got lost type thing or if small critters commonly find their way through the slots.

Thanks

5 hours ago, BurlyWizard said:

Quick survey to Innovative Marine AIO owners (as I assume they all have similar overflow slotted openings)...

Is it common to see critters making through the overflow? I introduced 2 sexy shrimp to my 25 lagoon yesterday and first thing this morning, one of them was sitting on top of my inTank media basket on top of the filter floss. Which is honestly a miracle because the tank has a lid, but it doesn't extend over the chambers, so the little guy could have easily jumped. 

I'm sure there are ways to add mesh or other blocking mechanisms to narrow the openings even more, but I was just curious if this is likely a one-off "first night in the tank" shrimp got lost type thing or if small critters commonly find their way through the slots.

Thanks

Very common for me. Some seem able to slide between the overflow teeth, and some hop over the small gap between my screen top and the top of the overflow, but that’s less frequent. To stop them from going in through the overflows I zip tied black plastic sewing mesh from a craft store. Cost a buck and can’t notice it, although it did restrict the flow going into back of tank