Pod Your Reef

Unknown algae or bacteria, haven't seen this in my 10 years of reefing.

Simulated Fish

Simulated Fish

Hey! about a month in on this tank so no surprises that I've got some dirty starting up before lights kick on. what surprises me is that I've never seen an algae or bacteria like this.

It's white and stringy and sometimes will form little groups when I pull it from the tank it just feels like someone spit a loogie in my hand lol.

At first I thought it was just some form of organic debris that had accumulated due to the clarifier that came with the live sand. After a week I went ahead and suctioned it from the tank because more little strings had appeared. A month on and they're still popping up and I've noticed if I don't disturb them they will form goopy colonies of some kind.

I've long been out of the cycle stage due to using some pre-seeded rock and live sand along with using microbact7 daily dosing. 

I'm not overly concerned but I do have fish coming in a week or two along with my first few corals to get this tank started, so just want to make sure it's not some sort of big red flag I've never heard of.

PXL_20210318_200911312.thumb.jpg.2422bc00c5b47e0d6970ef608fc10502.jpg

Simulated Fish

Just following up for the google searching folks, this white stringy goop was bacteria as i thought. I stopped dosing my bottle back for a few days and it cleared up! never seen a bloom so strong but i am happy it sorted out 🙂