Pod Your Reef

Help me choose LED mod for RSM 250

Andy LaBella

Andy LaBella
Hey all! Just joined the page I recently inherited a RSM 250 from my office as they decided they no longer wanted to pay for the upkeep. So last weekend we moved it into my house and so far it's doing great. Got everything I need for the care, kept all the original water and life in tact post move. Added some new fish. But now onto my issue. Only 2 T5s were on so I bought 6 replacement bulbs so I could get going on a replacement schedule. Come to find out, only 2 fixtures actually work. So it could be ballasts, could be something else. I don't know. All that said, I've heard from some fellow enthusiasts to look into LEDs. So I've been doing that and boy there's a lot out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful of options, but I don't really know what to do. Here is what I found in other forums and through researching.
Ideally I want something I can just drop into the current hood with little or no modifications save removing the current T5s and dropping something new in there.
Steve's LEDs - RED SEA MAX 250/C250 LED UPGRADE - PLUG AND PLAY - $799 but you know I'm gonna throw the add ons to make it $875
Reefbreeders - Photon 32-V2+ - $589 - look decent but not sure about the controls on them.
Aqua Illumination AI Hydra 32HD LED -$366 x 2
Noopsyche K7 PRO II LED Light - $155 x 2 and controller for $57
Current Orbit Marine IC PRO LED Reef Aquarium Dual Light System with Wireless Loop - $225
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 300w - $290
and finally... the cheapo option but might just be worth a try...
DSunY T75 Reef Led Aquarium Light - $185
Any help, recommendations, reviews would be so helpful as I'm driving myself insane trying to make the right/easiest decision here.

63720250580__DF313C6B-08FB-4623-9E70-8588FF82FD0E.jpg

63725268311__E3CE4941-683A-43BF-9A2A-0F5FA90CE6AD.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

Andy LaBella

Well, after much research, discussion and deliberation I took the plunge and I'm going to try the Steves LEDs retrofit kit.  Seemed like the easiest and best install option as it's made custom for my hood.  I'll keep you all posted on how it goes and post some pix when done.  Thanks for all your input and fingers crossed this all goes well.

https://www.stevesleds.com/Red-Sea-Max-250C250-LED-Upgrade--Plug-and-Play_p_192.html

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi 

I was reading your posts.

I had a Redsea Max 250 as of last month with the Steve’s LEDs and absolutely loved how the tank looked. It literally made the tank it corals and fish loom awesome. It’s a great hood setup that’s easily programmed for custom lighting times. That’s the great news yet unfortunately last month my RedSea tank had a slow leak that increased so I had to break down my tank moving the livestock to my larger tank. My perfectly working Redsea hood and the Steve’s LEDs and controllers is now for sale to a lucky buyer.
Please email if interested in purchase and I’ll answer questions show photos pack and ship. Thanks

• 9 months later...