Top Shelf Aquatics

Refugium for COLD WATER TEMPERATE SYSTEM?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Tried looking online to see if anyone uses a refugium in a cold water system?  Curious to see if so, then what macro would it be?  Do you have a picture of your setup?  There are dozens upon dozens of pictures and information for tropical, but I come up empty in temperate systems.

Thanks,

MainelyReefer

Chaeto is found in temperate locations too, I freaked out when I found some on the beach up here in NH.  I imagine growth would be slower, most macros up here go into blast mode in the summer and stall growth for winter and “hibernate” so not sure if it’s export potential would be all that great.  I have a few nubs of macros like bladder wrack etc. in my display and no considerable growth has occurred at 64 degrees with an AI prime for almost a year now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I dont have one but was reading up on temperate algaes and more then a few places laud Ulva lactuca as being one of the most hardy species

Thanks I got a quick response from the cold water marine aquatics group on FB.

I just want to be prepared to export out Nitrate. When the time arrives and not just relying on water changes.  Trying to natural way as possible.

3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Chaeto is found in temperate locations too, I freaked out when I found some on the beach up here in NH.  I imagine growth would be slower, most macros up here go into blast mode in the summer and stall growth for winter and “hibernate” so not sure if it’s export potential would be all that great.  I have a few nubs of macros like bladder wrack etc. in my display and no considerable growth has occurred at 64 degrees with an AI prime for almost a year now

Will look into that as that is what is in my tropical display system.

• Like 1
Just now, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Thanks I got a quick response from the cold water marine aquatics group on FB.

I just want to be prepared to export out Nitrate. When the time arrives and not just relying on water changes.  Trying to natural way as possible.

What did they say? Its definitely something that I would like to try out one day. Have a British Biotope 

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

That means I need to join facebook, which for me is a whole lot of nope.

Thanks though

"On a small tank... all you need to do is a water change. I change 90 percent in one go. I have a short bucket I put in my fridge to temp match. Super effective on small tanks. It just isn’t practical for large tanks or they could do it too. An algae scrubber would be better than macro if growing algae is the goal/plan. "

That was one of the responses from the group.