inTank Media Baskets

Leptastrea aggressive or peaceful

Crys

Hi I bought a frag pack and it included a leptastrea. I’m trying to figure out where to place it but get conflicting info, ranging from peaceful to aggressive. Any thoughts

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, Crys said:

Hi I bought a frag pack and it included a leptastrea. I’m trying to figure out where to place it but get conflicting info, ranging from peaceful to aggressive. Any thoughts

Since leptastrea it is an encrusting coral, it can be difficult to ever 'remove' from an area once established, and may outcompete other coral for space in a reef. Try to be decisive in where you place it, as it will encrust beyond the frag plug and eventually meet it's neighbors some day, and battle for territory. It can be fragged, but encrusting portions will generally always remain.

MainelyReefer

No long sweepers, harmless IMO, mine butts up against a monti spongodes and has been “fluffier” on the polyps closest to its neighbor, but it’s more of a defensive reaction and it doesn’t actively kill the intruder.  The monti will likely win as it can build skeleton faster and branch up over the leptastrea.  Leptastrea is my favorite coral and I embarrassingly have over a dozen unique specimens.  Check out the facts on its ability to brood.... super neat stuff, place it in any flow and any light, however low light for some color variants seems to work best and vice versa for some strangely 

• Like 1

Thanks all, I look forward to watching it grow!!  I only have the LED's that came with my Evo 13.5 so coral that like low light are a bonus for me.