Cultivated Reef

this cheap COB LED panel for macro display tank?

saltyfishwater

saltyfishwater

I'm interested in lighting for growing macro algae in the display tank (29 gallon Biocube).  I'd like the fish to look good rather than be optimized for macro growth, so I'm not planning on using those red fuge type lighting.  And I already have a constant current power source that's dimmable, so I'm looking for a LED-only panel.

I found this COB LED panel that would fit the Biocube, but is the light itself appropriate for display lighting and keeping display macro healthy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-70W-7000LM-LED-Panel-Strip-COB-Light-Lamp-220X120mm-White-Warm-White/184463187727

image.png.1d2cf474e7bfc13acc4eb4f6290f1d8f.png

I have a lot of electronics experience, but not marine aquarium lighting.  I'm nervous I might be barking up the wrong tree.  This LED panel has pretty good reviews.  For example, this youtuber who has a business of selling hydroponics lighting:

spectrum.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef

at 70W, that's gonna be very bright for biocube at full power.  I think you mentioned having a dimmer/controller on-hand in another thread.  at less than $3, i'd say go for it.  but get the 6500K for a crisper white, but it would likely be yellow looking than most, if not all reef-specific lights - just FYI.    

saltyfishwater
37 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

at 70W, that's gonna be very bright for biocube at full power.  I think you mentioned having a dimmer/controller on-hand in another thread.  at less than $3, i'd say go for it.  but get the 6500K for a crisper white, but it would likely be yellow looking than most, if not all reef-specific lights - just FYI.    

Thanks for the feedback.  The pictures I've seen of lots of reef tanks use such blue light (probably optimizing for coral growth), which I don't like the look of.  I can dim this LED panel, so I'll have quite a bit of control.  I plan on running a small fuge in the middle chamber of the biocube.  So I'd adjust the brightness of the display tank and backside fuge light to balance out nutrient uptake as well as not out-compete the fuge lighting.

• Like 1