Coral Vue Hydros

MY 36G bowfront diary-A

DRZL-sauras

I've seen these types of threads all over the place so i would just like to add my story here for my fellow reefers as well to help any locals with the DIY bug that I, as many others have been ailed with

A little background on this upgrade:

I am upgrading from a 20L Nano that had 70W DE ushio MH + 135W PC 10K+ super actinic in a CSL hood, 3 300gph Aquaglobes PH (dont recommend them but are not as bad as rio's) 35lbs of rock and 20lbs of the almighty south down..lol..I was happy with it for a bit but then 2 things happened one i started noticing that even though it is on a high antique dresser it was to stubby and cut off my line of vision too much and 2. I saved a little (tiny) hippo tang (.75 inch) from a ghetto fish store in a trip to my friends house in queens. The hippo was in a tank with a large grouper, psychotic clown trigger, and a dogface puffer....poor girl was wedged between ornaments to not get eaten....AFTER A LONG ARGUMENT with the LFS owner he gave me the hippo free and said he would not do it again...who knows though ...

I know some are holding your breath at the though of a tang in a 36G but she is still small but healthy 2 in now. I am upgrading to make her a bit happier and to keep her a bit longer before putting her in my 75 FOWLR as my other would surely bully her... Alll I can say is she seems happy to me and if you ever wanted to pet a fish like a puppy this one is it.

Anyways, let me continue so I chose a Bowfront because of its 3D effect...I have a regular rectangle and to me there is a big difference with how much you feel you are part of the picture when look through that slight angled glass....there were a few obstacles though with the design of its stock form, some i noticed, some friends noticed which i will show w/ pics what they were and how i solved them.

Well not to overload you with boredom on one shot I will get started and fill in along the way...X)

Alright:) ..now that that worked lets continue....so when i started this project I knew i want to do it big: ...its my little dream tank so it had to incorporate some serious sh*t, for a serious hobbyist as myself soooo....

Water movement:

with my corny Aquaglobe PH there was much to be desired and left me with the need of variable current...o yea u know where this is goingB)....So i went mag 9.5 SCWD closed loop w/ loc-line returns, ok easy enough. But Andres, thats not pimpy enough for you...damnnit voices...how about a wall to wall Overflow? Skimming my WHOLE surface within 10 seconds. Ok gettin there they said..lol??? :D...I plumbed it and tried it...it was a nice dispersed flow but because the two returns were T'ed with Locline they were not as efficent as I hoped...So.....Bought a 2nd Mag 9.5 linked it up to PVC and made a rack/ spraybar = NO dead spots as well as bumping my water movement to 1800-1900 GPH in A 36G...i wonder how many turnovers that is...its about 52-56 turnovers an hour...ahh...remember my friends its not the size of the tank but the motion of the ocean.

Ok for you non-imagination types as my self here go the pics

OK now more narrative...The 2/12 bulkhead was a problem....it was good for waterflow but BAdddd:x for weakening the bowfront construction...So I did something simple that my friend pointed who out this problem to solve....Brace it with glass with a matching BH hole....Note on this...Acrylic and glass offer a poor bond especially if you using it for structural integrity...big no-no....glass on glass with silicone...ding sing...we've got a winner, come on down...(price is right theme)....but seriously ONLY do glass on glass if your looking for strength......heres a pic of it

plus....black silicone...you can use clear if you want i needed it for reasons you will later see....for anyone who wonders what HD silicone to use ...hope this helps ya out...GE II 100% silicone....no mildew,mold crap

Alright...well thats that so far with water movement....the PVC rack/spraybar is still in cnstrction so no pics for now but i will have it up soon....

So lets we whats next...o yess...lighting.....Ok well I did the famous KrackerG mod with the CSL and the MH and fans...great idea but my needs led me to pump up this mod....The tank is 21" deep compared to 12" 20L... and i wanted SPS, clams, and acros so I needed more light....how about 250W SE XM bulb driven off a new IC bought from coral reefer...good deal thanks again dude good business.....So yea 250W SE...nice nice and with an added 135W of supplemental ACT 03 and Super Actinic....Muaahhh BeLLA Vida!! in PAR and color rendition...ripped out the PC ballasts and mounted it all external...to help with heat issues...but w/ 2 80mm in the hood and 2 120mm fans blowng across the water you think im worried??...lol....the only problemi encountered here was when i ordered the bulb and lets say it didnt look right...

I bought it from Premium Aquatics....which quickly offered to replace and in my case to just refund me...good guys...

Well Ive got to be off...I will be back to continue sharing my diary....i mean cough cough...uhmmm...manly journal

Archived