Innovative Marine Aquariums

Watanbei or geniacanthus in 55 gallon?

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Ok so I'm a month away from setting up my 55 gallon reef tank I have a year of experience in keeping a saltwater tank and I was wondering if I left a lot of swimming room in the aquas cape if a watanbei angel would work? I heard they will get about 5 inches so 4 feet seems like enough room? Would this work with any geniacanthus angelfish?

I would stick to Centropyge, personally (having had a 55g tank). I don't what to give you a "maybe" or "sometimes" because that will be enough for you to go drop $300 on a fish. For every healthy large fish you see that's grown into/out-grown a smaller tank...there's many that never made that far. 

You can get a bicolor angel or a red stripe angel. Both cool. Maybe a pair of dwarf angels like flame/pygmy...pair of joculator angels! 😉

Yes, you're on the right track with rockwork. A network of little passages in deep rockwork makes the tank feel bigger for fish and makes them feel more comfortable. 

I would focus on what's going to thrive vs. what's going to survive.

RoyalGramma001
1 hour ago, Spencer7 said:

I would stick to Centropyge, personally (having had a 55g tank). I don't what to give you a "maybe" or "sometimes" because that will be enough for you to go drop $300 on a fish. For every healthy large fish you see that's grown into/out-grown a smaller tank...there's many that never made that far. 

You can get a bicolor angel or a red stripe angel. Both cool. Maybe a pair of dwarf angels like flame/pygmy...pair of joculator angels! 😉

Yes, you're on the right track with rockwork. A network of little passages in deep rockwork makes the tank feel bigger for fish and makes them feel more comfortable. 

I would focus on what's going to thrive vs. what's going to survive.

What are the most well behaved dwarfs in a reef?