Coral Vue Hydros

5-Gallon Acropora System

East1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
7 hours ago, East1 said:

7 months or so? 

We started almost at the same time, I got my two tanks going Jan 27th, 2021.  I have a question did you go through diatoms, cyano or dinos?  I got through the first two and the third is with me for the first time, I had my nutrients bottom down, when I was trying to dial in my amazing cheato growth in a media basket of all places, and it just took off when I started manually dosing Neo Phos and Neo Ni04 tro.

My 6 fish in each tank didn't give me enough nutrients since they are tiny gobies, and don't consume of move a lot.  So turning my tank into a ULNS has been challenging, I have read so much on Dinos' and have a microscope on Amazon on its way to my house.

Needless to say, I  like the educational part of learning using ID and forums, but it sucks when you see your sand bed, just covered in brown slime that as your vacuum it up, it reappears in like 24 hours to the same attack.

With the increase in nutrients, P03 and N02, at least with me keeping it 03-09 in phosphates and 5-12ppm in nitrates, I am getting back just a tad of control but I vacuum into 25 micron sock 2 times a day to capture the sand dwelling Amphidiums.. Big cell I think I have....

Anyway, have you any experience with Dinos?  Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 6:09 PM, East1 said:

image0.jpg

I dose varying amounts of all of these on a daily basis, with the exception of the Red Sea elements, twice a week I'll rotate the Zeo equivalent with the Red Sea

that is alot! Is instead of water change?

How come you need a skimmer, how that proteins come into your tank? (i see no fish?)

i hope i can get an acro in my pico some day

18 hours ago, filefishfinatic said:

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/03/07/coral-on-a-chip-is-the-real-nano-aquarium/ i think this has acropora 

edit: its pollicipora but its close enough 

I saw this a while ago, though it's not a closed system and the original paper doesn't mention the total volume of the system, I think it references a 4 gallon raceway but nothing concrete 

On 8/18/2021 at 8:22 AM, M. Tournesol said:

you don't see the little Azure Damselfish?

On 8/18/2021 at 8:32 AM, Inspgadget said:

Sorry. i mist that one. i guess that time was too late for me

also I have 3 little nano gobies! 

Though, the skimmer isn't for the fish but rather the bacterial biomass that grows from dosing carbon etc that must be skimmed out.

• Like 2